Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Wonder how it compares to a Afghan Car Bomb. :naughty:
No seventy virgins at the end of the Irish ride.

Had an odd one tonight. Went out, ordered a Manhattan. The waiter couldn't pronounce it right or repeat the name right, not due to any language barrier, I think because he was a bit dim. Apparently the bartender was at a loss as well. I got back what I later sorta figured out was an Old Fashioned. Muddled orange, large ice ball, more sweet than the vermouth kick in a Manhattan. Not a left-field drink, the Manhattan. Should be one of the staples for bartenders. Oh well. Time to make one here at home with my new fancier vermouth:

1 part Jack Rye
1.5 parts Makers
1 part Vermouth
liberal splashed of both whiskey barrel bitters and orange bitters (Fee brothers)

Shaken over ice like it owed you money, decanted into a martini glass.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
Should be one of the staples for bartenders.
Should be, but it's not that common anymore with the millennials ordering the froo-froo drinks and flavored whiskeys and vodkas.
A *lot* of people confuse the Manhattan and Old Fashioned.

Saw a thread on another forum last week where a guy was complaining that his "Martini" that his wife asked for didn't taste right... #1 problem was Vodka instead of Gin. #2 problem was Blood Orange and a bunch of other sweet crap that had no business being behind the same bar that serves a Martini.

·
Super Moderator
12,864 Posts
You wanna get a puzzled look? Ask for a Harvey Wallbanger.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,398 Posts
Saw a thread on another forum last week where a guy was complaining that his "Martini" that his wife asked for didn't taste right... #1 problem was Vodka instead of Gin. #2 problem was Blood Orange and a bunch of other sweet crap that had no business being behind the same bar that serves a Martini.

My wife and I went to dinner once with a couple, and he asked the waitress about their martini's, she told them they weren't very good, and suggested something else. He had her bring the ingrediants to make them himself, then had a couple of martinis.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Martini is basic drink. If they can't get that right they're not a good place.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bought a bottle of Maker's' 46 to compare with the regular Maker's Mark. After a few glasses combined with a few Rocky Patels I have to admit I like the regular Maker's better. Also, I'm out of Buffalo Trace and the local ABC store hasen't got any in lately.

·
Registered
1992 Geo Prizm
1,398 Posts
I hope he tipped well as that is most likely illegal. My kind of place :)
He did tip well. :D We were having some good steak dinners, so the bill was up there pretty good. I had a couple 3 beers myself.:chug: He wanted to go to a good steak house, so I suggested that place. It's really good food, but a little on the expensive side. Needless to say we (my wife and I) don't go there very often.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Bought a bottle of Maker's' 46 to compare with the regular Maker's Mark. After a few glasses combined with a few Rocky Patels I have to admit I like the regular Maker's better. Also, I'm out of Buffalo Trace and the local ABC store hasen't got any in lately.
It's hard to improve on Makers. Just damn good brown. Every Manhattan I order out I specify to use Makers instead of whatever they have as their well (Bulleit usually). 46 is a good mixer.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Many years ago my best friend got me to acquire a taste for scotch. Sadly he passed away unexpectedly 6 years ago today. So tonight in his memory I am having a Laphroaig single malt. I know he would appreciate that.
To your BF!

:chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug::chug:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Many years ago my best friend got me to acquire a taste for scotch. Sadly he passed away unexpectedly 6 years ago today. So tonight in his memory I am having a Laphroaig single malt. I know he would appreciate that.
Sorry to hear that. How did he go? Cancer or what?

Speaking of taking a drink the old man in the video below took a much deserved drink and it served him right. Enjoy a laugh at his expense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6158499/Angry-sailor-chases-group-tourists-yelling-Ill-kill-one-one.html

·
7,715 Posts
Sorry to hear that. How did he go? Cancer or what?

Heart issues that he wasn't aware of compounded by smoking. No outward sign of anything at all. Him, his wife and myself were more like our own little family than friends.
That sucks. I need to plan my funeral and buy some plots.
And that my friend is why my username is what it is. Also why I have hit the trails for almost 30 miles this week. And why I am demolishing a big old fresh salad I just made with a water instead of the ribeye and beer I would like even more. And why I eat sardines 3 or 4 times a week.

·
Registered
09 Corolla Base
1,542 Posts
And that my friend is why my username is what it is. Also why I have hit the trails for almost 30 miles this week. And why I am demolishing a big old fresh salad I just made with a water instead of the ribeye and beer I would like even more. And why I eat sardines 3 or 4 times a week.

He wasn't big on religion or big events . He once said When I die fold me up in a cardboard box and throw me in a hole, it won't bother me. Ended up with a cremation. Then had 2 'get togethers' to say good bye. One in Florida where they had moved and one back in Illinois where he grew up for family and the rest of his friends.

When the time comes I want to go the cremation route myself. I'd rather have people talk about me once in a while when they get together than make a trip to a cemetery.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
With all the traveling you do hopefully a car wreck doesn't get you first. I have close calls pretty much yearly and I don't drive anywhere near the amount you do.

141 - 160 of 201 Posts