Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We’ve acquired a 2010 highlander hybrid 132k miles (there was an extended warranty that is now expired as of dec 2020l) and we’ve got codes: -
C1256 accumulator low pressure and c1391 leak in accumulator which dealer is recommending replacing the abs actuator and accumulator (total $4,200).

• Brake actuator: 04008-26448
  • Pump: 04008-51148

I've found the parts online cheaper than the dealer and i am mechanically inclined.

Changing the parts are straight forward however.... i've trying to read up on the bleeding process which requires tech stream and am reading the knock-off stuff off amazon can be faulty.

• Is there a cheap software / cable that works?
  • Can i just physically bleed the system traditionally without the software?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you're changing the ABS pump, you'll need to cycle the pump during bleeding to get all the air out. That's what the cable and software does. I've tried doing ABS stops to bleed the system on a different car (BMW) and it didn't work and I still had a soft brake pedal. Took it to the dealer and using their bleed tool they got all the air out and the pedal felt good.

Maybe you could install the parts and then have the dealer bleed the system after you do a manual bleed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don’t think the 2nd gen HH has any master cylinder, ( so no manual bleed) it just uses the accumulator pressure and electronics in the valve body do the braking, if I were faced with this I was thinking of using vacuum to pull brake fluid through but I think you would still need to energize the valves to purge air and fluid, may be others can shed some light on this very expensive fix….

·
Registered
698 Posts
Call Toyota Customer Cares, and ask for Goodwill assistance. Maybe they will cover the repair or cover a portion (say 50%). Give them a sob story of bought a Toy b/c reliable, then this happened. Maybe you have a history of previous Toy/Lex purchases too? If they say sorry Charlie, your situation doesn’t change, and you are in your exact position to undergo the DIY repair.

Software (Techstream or a professional grade mechanic OBD tool) is a must. The software will tell the various valves to open close, so the specific wheel cylinder can be bleed. Also, the software will allow you to reset the braking parameters (which is a must), since a major component was replaced, so the system will learn the new baseline, and operate the brakes and ABS correctly.

This diagram illustrates why software is a must and old school pumping to bleed won’t work. Granted diagram is from the Gen2 Prius, but all Toy & Lexus hybrids/PHEV share the same complicated brake system. All current Toy & Lex hybrids/PHEV use four wheel disc brake system; no more rear drums.
Product Black Rectangle Font Schematic

The Techstream cables from Amazon/fleaBay will work. You just may have to go through a few returns b/c of poor quality control. Doesn’t matter who/where you buy from, as all the sellers buy from the same one or two suppliers from PandaLand (China).

Techstream is best installed on a spare junker laptop. MAC install possible with a Windows emulation program running.

If you don’t have the factory service manual, you may want to buy the temporay two day subscription from TIS, to get access to the valuable diagrams, procedures, and torque specs.

Good Luck! It’s a pain, but doable.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Toyota's "Goodwill" is 100% discrsion of Toyota. Never hurts to ask, b/c worse they can say is NO. Which sucks, but doesn't change your situation or make it worse. If they say YES (100% coverage or some percentage), you won a pseudo jackpot, time to celebrate.

Goodwill seems to be dependent on a few factors:
1) How much over miles/days of Warranty you are.
2) How much PAID dealer services the vehicle utilized.
3) How many Toyotas you/family have purchased.

Hopefully the vehicle OP purchased has a lot of dealer paid service by previous owner(s). I would plead: poor, Toyota purchased for reliability, can they help offset SOME of the costs (50/50, 60/40, 34/66, 25/75). Asking for 100% coverage, given the time frame of 12months out of extended Warranty, is a lot The companies have to draw the line somewhere. But NEVER hurts to ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information everyone, no manual bleed :).

Goodwill, it's worth a shot and i'll consider the above information when speaking to them :)

Here's a few routes i am considering:

1) I've been suggested to possibly get Launch X431 pro 3S (seems there's many versions) to help with the bleed $1,000+ ish.
- i am thinking... maybe this professional grade tool can help with other future cars and not just toyota.
2) Mongoose cable $500 + 2 day $65 TIS

Parts wise it's about +/- $1,500 and if i spend another $1,000.... i'm still coming out ahead (below $4,200 dealer quote).

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you have $ to burn, then proceeded. Envy you.

Most buy the immitation Mongoose cable from Amazon/fleaBay: "miniVCI" w/ Techstream. I bought the miniVCI off Amazon, early 2010, $30. Now they seem to run $40s.

I had an obsolete Windows laptop, collecting dust,, so that became my Toyota/Lexus OBD2 tool. Cost=$0. If you have friends in IT, they probably have obsolete laptops collecting dust too; they can probably donate or donate minus harddrive (for the company's data protection). Laptop hard rives are CHEAP, even SSD HardDrives, <$100.

Only need the most recent version of Techstream if you have the latest model Toy/Lex.

You can Venmoe me $10 for the massive equipment cost savings. ;)

When you bleed the brakes, connect a 12V battery charger, so the 12V doesn't get depleted during the bleed process. Ideally, you have the 12V recharged the night before AND STILL USE the 12V charger. The car stays in IG-ON, when the bleed is performed, thus the danger of the 12V running too low. But a fully recharged 12V and the charger staying connected during the bleed process prevents lack of voltage for the card's computers.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Wow this is the first I have heard of any ABS related failure on any vehicle let alone a Toyota. I have been on over a 7 or 8 forums with brands I bought. Shouldn't happen

Reactions: vinhqky

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's a wear item, just like in ICE cars. Keep/USE any car long enough, the brake parts will require replacement. Sucks for the owner when it occurs, b/c not "cheap".

Your not looking at the right places. Goto PriusChat, Gen2. Enough ABS/modulator failures w/ high mieage Pris.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Clearly not, just never in the models/makes I previously owned nor other owners of them either.

Its a Toyota Thing it appears from above. I've heard the odd person replace their master cylinder but thats it and not many over many many decades. Premature IMO
Carry on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts