Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
weatherproofing would be a BIG +++

this is the old bracket after soaked in a pail of vinegar for a week and then exposed to plain old rain and humidity (n)

Plant Botany Wood Twig Grass

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
14,529 Posts
weatherproofing would be a BIG +++

this is the old bracket after soaked in a pail of vinegar for a week and then exposed to plain old rain and humidity (n)

View attachment 347666
For what it's worth, just leaving any sort of bracket out in the (humid) open or even inside a non-temperatured controlled location is likely gonna rust.

It's been awhile since I installed my transport hook and it looks mostly fine. The bracket that was there it now sits in my tool box in a shed and it looks horrid.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,160 Posts
Try using iron stick and positive charge to see if the rust will be removed that way.

Otherwise, elbow grease. Better yet, throw away and buy new ones. You'll save more in the end.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
the rockauto wants a core for the calipers of 50$,,, should i just send 'em a piles of rust chips for that core, its all thats left of these lol
Try using iron stick and positive charge to see if the rust will be removed that way.

Otherwise, elbow grease. Better yet, throw away and buy new ones. You'll save more in the end.
its the curse of having hubcapped wheel covers for 2+ decades and not being able to quickly hose the slop off the inner wheels occasionally in the middle of winter at the wandwash
for the next 2 decades I am going with the open stock wheels with center ornament because they do look rather sporty and badass on the little car!

Reactions: 75aces

·
イリジウム
13,957 Posts
LOL if it's like that picture above I would lean "not rebuildable".

So they might reject the core as not rebuildable, but they might also take it and refund you the core charge as good customer service. Roll the dice!

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,160 Posts
LOL if it's like that picture above I would lean "not rebuildable".

So they might reject the core as not rebuildable, but they might also take it and refund you the core charge as good customer service. Roll the dice!
The thing I dislike about RA's core charge is they deduct shipping. They should be providing prepaid postage for core returns.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm a little late here, but stay away from PowerStop. Cheap crap. Raybestos EHT pads however are phenomenal.
the powerstop calipers rotors brackets hardware are crap?
i am assuming you can use ANY type of pads on them or would their be difficulty with the special coated rotor that resists corrosion?

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
the powerstop calipers rotors brackets hardware are crap?
i am assuming you can use ANY type of pads on them or would their be difficulty with the special coated rotor that resists corrosion?
Probably both. Just avoid PowerStop.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,176 Posts
I was reading something last week, and someone was saying that raybestos is not so good anymore either - I think they had gotten some rotors or caliper brackets which didn't fit.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
my head hurts :(

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The calipers are rebuilt OEM. Which is why they charge core. Shouldn’t be a problem. I’m not sure how good their seals are. I do know for sure the pad hardware were really good. Stainless steel held up better than cheaper hardware kits.

Many people run the rebuilt calipers no problem. But their OEM quality that’s been rebuilt which isn’t a surprise in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
6,176 Posts
I should add that the raybestos stuff to watch out for is the made in china stuff. US made raybestos stuff should still be good.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,160 Posts
If the OEM pads are still available from the online retailers, go this route. Toyota has a high standard when it comes to their consumables. Rotors on the other hand are on the pricey end. Brembo or centric blanks will do just fine.

It's not like it was 20 plus years ago where doing brakes were on the pricey end. They're affordable these days. With companies like RA, they have the buy power to sell at a more affordable price.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
14,160 Posts
I should add that the raybestos stuff to watch out for is the made in china stuff. US made raybestos stuff should still be good.
Sus always. My power stop front pads pulsated after 2+ years. Didn't have a chance to install new front pads and rotors since the accident.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
Life's about taking chances. I took a chance with PowerStop Z23 pads and all I got were brakes that didn't bite when it was hot. Their bite was so little at times I swear I should've used both feet to smash that pedal. They were good for the winter.

The Raybesots EHTs always bite.

·
イリジウム
13,957 Posts
For a while Centric was kicking Raybestos' butt. But with the new EHT Element 3 I think they're getting their mojo back. I'd give EHT Element 3 stuff a try.

For brake hoses I just get Sunsong directly on Rockauto, that's what Centric and Raybestos rebox anyway plus a hefty markup. I actually think the Sunsong stuff is better than the Italian hoses Raybestos used to rebox years ago, but I guess Italian automotive reliability is just about non-existent anyway ;). Wagner and Cardone new master cylinders these days are Chinesium too.

·
Registered
14,529 Posts
Story of "easy" brake work and I still happen to have my PowerStop Z23's. When there is that much material, unless I am not seeing anything, you got to wonder WHY they felt SO BAD on hot days. I've heard they needed to be warmed up to function correctly, that could be right but at the same time they only bit good when it was moist or in the cold 🤷‍♀️ .

Rectangle Product Azure Font Screenshot

Brown Rectangle Wood Road surface Flooring

Brown Wood Flooring Hardwood Rock

·
1996 Toyota Corolla
10,444 Posts
I bought two full kits of PowerStop brakes. The one for the Miata never felt good, but I rarely drove that car. The one for the MR2 felt good at first, but within a few months started pulsing and soon after screeching when cold. Really bad experience. Got Centric Premium rotors and StopTech pads and they were good for years, till I got new Wilwood calipers and pads up front. I'm STILL on the same Centric Premium rotors through multiple track days, endless autocrosses, and lots of hard driving and they're still good.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts