Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought used 2003 Matrix XR @ 50K miles in metro-detroit from 1st owner. Now it is at 52K miles.

Brake light came on and found low brake fluid in reservoir.. I found leak where brake lines go into ABS modulator. Took it to a local toyota dealer where vehicle was serviced previously and found that same problem(leakage) occurred with first owner at 8k, 20k, 30k miles. Dealer records indicates diagnostic didn't find any leaks but brake fluid was low than minimum & was filled all 3 times!!!!

Car is unsafe to drive and to add to the misery now there is air in the brake circuit.....

Shouldn't toyota cover this.. The dealership is hiding behind 36k warranty.. but surely abs modulator, not a wear & tear item, has to last the life of vehicle. this car is a lemon for sure... Car inspection during purchase did not show up this problem!!

Anybody have this happen to them? Looks like it might be 2K worth of repairs....

This is my wife's car (she was driving to work while she was pregnant in this vehicle))

Screwed by Toyota

·
XRS
2,245 Posts
Did you buy it privately or from the dealer? If it's the latter, the dealer should definitely fix it at no cost to you or should've fixed it prior to selling it. But then again, dealers are dealers.

If you bought it privately, I'm sorry to say, but I guess you just found out the REAL reason it was for sale.

This is the first time I've read about anyone having leaky brake lines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ABS MODULATOR in MATRIX vs COROLLA

Hi Mistamatrix,

Is the ABS modulator used on Matrix XR the same on COROLLAs with ABS? I have the Matrix part # but can't get hold of the Corolla parts manual on the corolla forum....

Q2. I see brake fluid leaking out the top holes of my ABS modulator. Can this be reworked to avoid changing the modulator?? I think ABS modulator is ok because my ABS light doesn't turn on with the brake light!!

Cheers....

·
Registered
248 Posts
that's pretty ridiculous... try another dealer... filled 4 times now, and not replaced? but you can see fluid leaking? get outta that shady de-troit man and try somewhere else

·
Registered
87 Posts
I work at a dealer in Canada. Sometime the dealers hands are tied because if the warreny is only 36000 mile s that all they can do ... The coustomer will then have to Call Toyota relations in your Case Toyota USA head office and complain....make sure that you mention the History that the car was repaired for the same reasone at the 8,20,30 k intervals for the same reason.....If there was a warranty claim they will know something it up.....offten Toyota will sugest that that the repair is paid 50/50 you and TOYOTA .....

It should never leak therfore if they fix it right then it sould never leak AGAIN.....make shure that they are clear that thats the way you want it back because if it leaks again that means they didnt fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIKE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts