Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings: Am planning on doing a fluid change on our 08 Yaris, clutch and brakes. I've done many brake bleeds on non-ABS vehicles but this is the first I've done with the system. Are there any tips/cautions when doing an ABS fluid replacement or are we still starting at the RR wheel and finishing at the LF ? Will likely be using the "MityVac" kit to do the job.

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings: Am planning on doing a fluid change on our 08 Yaris, clutch and brakes. I've done many brake bleeds on non-ABS vehicles but this is the first I've done with the system. Are there any tips/cautions when doing an ABS fluid replacement or are we still starting at the RR wheel and finishing at the LF ? Will likely be using the "MityVac" kit to do the job.

Thanks

Why are you changing brake fluid. Are you racing your Yaris?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you changing brake fluid. Are you racing your Yaris?
Thanks for the reply:

I was considering changing over to the ATE SL.6 low viscosity product primarily to see if it would enhance my cold weather hydraulic clutch function, as it is noticeably harder to operate on the colder winter mornings here. I also assumed that this specific fluid would be an upgrade for my ABS as well. No racing!

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok thats makes sense. i am not sure on bleeding procedure either. somewhere on here or yarisworld ther is a yaris tech manual you can read. i am not up on brake fluid types and characteristics. good luck i ope you find a solution

·
Registered
2005 Echo Hatchback
354 Posts
You don't have to think you're a race car driver to warrant changing your brake fluid. You should probably do it every 3 years or so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Ahh! Absolutely, although I must admit I've never changed out the brake fluid in any vehicle that I've ever owned. Although this is probably nothing to brag about, but there are a lot of drivers in the same position.

In my case this car has 18K km and I am only doing this change to see if the clutch will respond better in winter. This is the first standard trans we've had in 20 years but if it was an automatic I'm almost positive I wouldn't be inquiring about brake fluid.

·
7th car in 10 years!
Echo HB /Jeep GC CRD
4 Posts
I just got a 2004 Echo with 68000 km (42k mi) and I doubt brake/clutch fluid was ever change.

I plan to do it too, for regular maintenance but also for ease the clutch on the forthcomming winter days too.

I've read in the manual DOT3 fluid but I've search a little and DOT4 should be better and compatible with DOT3 fluid and system.

So my question is it OK to put DOT4 for brake/clutch and how much I should need for a full flush?

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Probably 1-2 litres to flush brakes, 2 is safer in case you run low.
Stuff is nasty to eyes, skin and paint. Wear safety glasses and surgical type gloves. Get the manual and a pal to help.

·
7th car in 10 years!
Echo HB /Jeep GC CRD
4 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts