Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got this car donated to my son so i am trying to get it up and running. i took care of the check engine light thanks to this forum and now i need some more help.

1. the brake light is always on. there is plenty of fluid but the pedals do go down a lot. i am thinking that the rear shoes need replaced but could it be the switch?

2. temp gauge is intermittent. it always reads very low or not at all. sometimes it reads normal (in the middle). do these cars have bad sensors ?

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
brake light as in the warning light for the brake system on the dash? If this is the case, either the resevoir isn't full or the ebrake switch is faulty as both trigger the same light.

As for the temp gauge, the connector is under the intake manifold on the inlet pipe from the head for the waterpump. It could be a bad sender or a bad connection.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Check the ebrake on a hill. If it is not working, it will be obvious and will probably bottom out the hand lever. I would take off the front wheels and inspect the rotors and brakes even if you had no signs (it's always a very good idea with a new used car). See if there is liquid spilling or worn pads or springs broken. Then inspect the rear drums. See if the ebrake cable is hooked up properly. Take pictures of the guts. The pics are great to have for a future brake replacement. Also look for liquid on the inner wall of all four tires. Also, If the brakes are squishy and require pumping to stop then they have air in them which may affect the brake light too since your pushing all the way down on them. For this you must bleed the system before checking if the master cylinder is bad.

I'm not sure about the sensor, but I know if there is nothing flowing where the sensor is then it will read very low. Check the color and level of coolant. Green, brown, red, yellow? If kind of brown then flush and refill before driving it and for sure inspect and replace if necessary the thermostat. Btw mine ALWAYS reads in the middle. It sometimes seems broken but I know better.:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts