Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
87 pickup 2wd, ext cab if it matters on braking system, sometimes when you back up it makes soem noise i assume rear brakes and then the light comes on in the dash, it can stay on anywhere from minutes to hours,

doesnt do it every time you back up and not every day

truck sat sunk in mud for about 6 years i know cuz the fuel pump was out i am told,
so the brakes all froze up and so alot had to be replaced, its a daily driver back on the road these days, for about a year now, very rusty chassis, it does pull a little to the right during higher speed harder stops,

thanks for any ideas what might be causing, you can hear the pass side rear drum if you are standing next to truck slow stops and the fronts work so good that they will lock up on gravel real easy, so i know at least that one's shoes are expanding, but i still think the rears are weak though and i may have to run new lines cuz everythings so rusted, what size lines do these trucks use that i need to get from the store ? i probably will have to reuse threaded fittings most likely i bet, ift hey dont get ruined trying to bust them loose and remove them

·
Registered
1987 Toyota 4X4
18 Posts
Thats what I like to hear...sat in mud for 6 years and is a daily driver...HAH!!!

I had a prroblem with my rear brakes on my 87. When I would reverse the brakes would lock up in the back...and if I hit the brakes too hard they would lock up...not good at 40 mph. What happened is some wheel grease got into the brakes and it turns into a sludge, like glue almost. Replacing the pads and scrubbing the drums out did the trick...I also had the rear axle and seals serviced...

Good luck...

Now I do believe in the legend of the mud angel...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hum it does kinda sound like wet shoe linings, hmm i bet axle seals gone or wheel cylinder seals, hmm, cost of new wheel cylinders for these trucks ?
hopefully cheap and wheel seals too, they just pry out of ends of axle tubes like usual right?

how complicated are rear brakes on these things ?
normal adjuster tooth wheel ? knockout plug in backing plate or on drum face ?

how many cross springs to remove ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ttt

no one knows ?

i just need to know how complicated the rear brakes on these trucks are and how to get the darn drums off ? i took the phillips headed drum lock screw off and the drums still dont budge, at all, are on solid, i beat on them and beat on them more and used torch and all and they just wont move even a millimeter, nothing

does it take some C-4 to budge them or what ?

if i cant get to the brakes then the truck is destined for shredder as soon as the brakes blow, the light is on permanent all the time now and the back brakes make a loud noise in reverse stop, like grabbing metal noise for a second or two

plus one front caliper pulls the truck to one side too, and that isnt very good thing either., the front hoses are twisted as if the calipers were spun 180 degrees before being put on the spindles,

is htat normal toyota or what ?

thanks for anything

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
There shouldn't be anything left holding the drums on except for the brake shoes. If they wore into the drum, it will be difficult to remove. All I can say is pull until it gives. Whats the worse that is gong to happen? It sounds like you already need new drums, shoes and probably rear wheel brake cylinders.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok cool thanks :D

any tips on how to help budge these drums off ?

thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
help

thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi,

Not sure if you've got the drums off. When shoes are worn to the rivits, the rivits will badly groove the drum and sit in the groove even when the brakes are released. This may be why you can't budge the drums. Back the adjusting star out...I mean WAY out. The drums should come off then.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts