Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Tacoma Regular Cab.

When I drive around the Brake light goes on and off. I checked the switch on the parking break and it works great.

I un-plugged the brake fluid level detector switch and now the brake light problem goes away. Is is possible that when you don't have the low fluid harness connected, it just pretends that everything is ok, or normally open means no problem? Does the harnes short itself when you disconnect it?

Not sure why my fluid light is going on and off when I drive around. Do the contacts for the brake fluid wear out like this?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
zootjeff said:
I have a 99 Tacoma Regular Cab.

When I drive around the Brake light goes on and off. I checked the switch on the parking break and it works great.

I un-plugged the brake fluid level detector switch and now the brake light problem goes away. Is is possible that when you don't have the low fluid harness connected, it just pretends that everything is ok, or normally open means no problem? Does the harnes short itself when you disconnect it?

Not sure why my fluid light is going on and off when I drive around. Do the contacts for the brake fluid wear out like this?

Thanks,

Jeff
I think I found my answer in the online manuals. The light comes on when the switch shorts. When I unplug the brake fluid level harness, there is no path to ground to light the switch. There is still the path to light the switch from the Parking break, but that part works fine.

Do I need a whole new master cylandar to fix this problem? Has anyone had a brake level switch problem and fixed it?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts