Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, The 2019 Toyota Highlander comes with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. and Lane departure with Lane Tracing Assist and it is part of the new Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 system.

I have wondered ??? If i am using the system and the car in front reduces and my HL slows down a bit. The taillights comes on too so the car in the back knows that you're stopping ... ???? Thank You

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello, The 2019 Toyota Highlander comes with Toyota Safety Sense 2.0. and Lane departure with Lane Tracing Assist and it is part of the new Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 system.

I have wondered ??? If i am using the system and the car in front reduces and my HL slows down a bit. The taillights comes on too so the car in the back knows that you're stopping ... ???? Thank You
Only if you apply he Brakes by pushing the pedal

·
Registered
571 Posts
When PCS or DRCC automatically applies the brakes on our Sienna and Prius, their brake lights illuminate - same as if the brake pedal was depressed. Surely the Highlander is the same.

Edit: When using DRCC, if a vehicle ahead slows down, your vehicle may just coast without braking. If the vehicle ahead slows down quickly and your brakes are automatically applied, then your brake lights will illuminate.

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
All this time I’ve never pushed the brake pedal if the system was doing an adequate job maintaining distance, but always wondered if those behind me have any indication I was braking if I didn’t hit the pedal. . If not guess I should brake even if the automatic system already is doing so?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Whenever the brakes are applied, either manually or automatically, the brake lights will come on (if they're working properly). If cruise control slows the vehicle down by reducing throttle the brake lights will not come on, no different than if you take you foot off the gas pedal but don't brake.

From the owner's manual - (page 288 for the 2018 Highlander)

When a vehicle is detected running ahead of you, the system automatically
decelerates your vehicle. When a greater reduction in vehicle speed is
necessary, the system applies the brakes (the stop lights will come on at
this time).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks, MI-HL, I. That makes sense, seems like it would be a safety hazard otherwise. BTW I tried looking it up before wasting time here , I can never find anything in my manual. Most things I try to look up aren’t even in the index, so I’ve pretty much given up on that. Like Miles to Empty in the Info Center display in the middle of the instrument panel. Pulled that up once but forget how we got to it. Pretty much have cycled through every screen but can’t find it again. Even our Service Advisor couldn’t find it last time we were in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Radar mode employs a radar sensor to detect the presence of vehicles up to approximately 400 ft. (120 M) ahead, determines the current vehicle-to-vehicle following distance, and operates to maintain a suitable following distance from the vehicle ahead... And YES, for my own peace of mind is good to know that when a greater reduction in vehicle speed is necessary, the system applies the brakes the stop lights will come on at this time..If the Tail light do Not turn on, it would be a safety concern by Toyota. Because when the lights come on That is the warning signal for the vehicle behind to apply their brakes too......Thanks everyone,,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts