Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking at an AE92 corolla, I'm getting it for a steal from a buddy of mine. Anyways, the brakes are not working. It's been checked out and it needs new pads, shoes, and rotors. Now here is the last dillema. The pedal travels all the way to the floor. The dealer says the lines are shot. As far as I know the circuit for the front and rear are seperate. When the pedal goes to the floor, there are barely ANY brakes, and next to no stopping power. I was thinking that perhaps it's the master cylinder and not the lines. The car has only 160,000 km ( 100k miles ) on it. How can I determine the problems exist with the master cylinder and not the lines. If it is the lines, how much work is it to change them?

thanks in advance.

freakboy

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would change the master cylinder anyway! There could well be a leak in the caliper pistons and/or the rear wheel cylinders, which is easy to work out - leaks at the wheel. I would doubt very much that the lines are gone. Remember it is critical to bleed all the air out when you change any of these parts!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The break booster only causes sponginess if it is leaking and then it is usually a vacuum hose!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts