Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the brakes and rotors on my Camry that has some bald pads and potentially damaged rotors due to the bald pads. My wear indicators don't work/exist so they never made any noise. I'm debating between Raybestos Element3, Bosch Quietcast, Power Stop Z23, Akebono ProAct, and Wagner OEX for pads, and I'm not really sure about the rotors but the ones I like are the coated ones from Power Stop, Dynamic Friction, Bosch, Centric, and Raybestos.

What do you guys suggest I use? I'm looking for OEM or better than OEM performance with better than OEM stopping power, low noise and little/no dust.

· Registered
53 Posts
For pads, i'd suggest using Centric 301 compound. I have found that they have much better stopping power then oem with no noise or dust at all. Plus they come with all the little hardware you need to install them.

Atmosphere Blue Purple Azure Violet

As far as rotors go, just find the cheapest blank rotor you can buy. Rotors don't make much of a difference when it comes to stopping power, don't get suckered into the cross drilled and slotted stuff. On a stock car that is just your daily driver, those slots and holes can wear down pads quicker and become filled with brake dust causing them to crack and not work properly.

· Registered
2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For pads, i'd suggest using Centric 301 compound. I have found that they have much better stopping power then oem with no noise or dust at all. Plus they come with all the little hardware you need to install them.

View attachment 406846

As far as rotors go, just find the cheapest blank rotor you can buy. Rotors don't make much of a difference when it comes to stopping power, don't get suckered into the cross drilled and slotted stuff. On a stock car that is just your daily driver, those slots and holes can wear down pads quicker and become filled with brake dust causing them to crack and not work properly.
Thank you! I was looking to stick to blank rotors. Do you have any thoughts on Raybestos Element3 pads?

· イリジウム
15,405 Posts
You can try the coated Raybestos Element 3 rotors. The Element 3 line looks to be of great value. The Raybestos EHT Element 3 will have a stronger bite (typicall GG friction rated, vs Akebono ProAct's FF). The Element 3 would be similar to Akebono ASP in friction rating. With Element 3 some members reported pretty clean wheels with an occasional noise, but stronger bite.

If you go with Akebono, rockauto also has their stronger ASP line for just a few bucks more. So go with those if you use Akebono.

While I haven't tried Element 3 (I typically use Akebono ProAct and some ASPs, and Centric C-Tek non-coated el-cheapo rotors), you can go both pads and rotors with Element 3 there. And if you need brake lube, make sure only to use a JIS K2228 approved grease, such as CRC Silaramic. Rockauto carries Permatex "silicone extreme" orange grease, never use their green or purple that can damage rubber.

It may be a good time to change out the pin boots and bushings while at it. Go Raybestos there while at it.

Rockauto 5% off discount code if you buy there, scroll to the latest post:
RockAuto Discount Code

· Registered
2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can try the coated Raybestos Element 3 rotors. The Element 3 line looks to be of great value. The Raybestos EHT Element 3 will have a stronger bite (typicall GG friction rated, vs Akebono ProAct's FF). The Element 3 would be similar to Akebono ASP in friction rating. With Element 3 some members reported pretty clean wheels with an occasional noise, but stronger bite.

If you go with Akebono, rockauto also has their stronger ASP line for just a few bucks more. So go with those if you use Akebono.

While I haven't tried Element 3 (I typically use Akebono ProAct and some ASPs, and Centric C-Tek non-coated el-cheapo rotors), you can go both pads and rotors with Element 3 there. And if you need brake lube, make sure only to use a JIS K2228 approved grease, such as CRC Silaramic. Rockauto carries Permatex "silicone extreme" orange grease, never use their green or purple that can damage rubber.

It may be a good time to change out the pin boots and bushings while at it. Go Raybestos there while at it.

Rockauto 5% off discount code if you buy there, scroll to the latest post:
RockAuto Discount Code
I was actually looking to get the raybestos element 3 pads and rotors specifically. I'm looking at the Akebono pads you recommended but I'm seeing that they are almost double the price of the Raybestos, how are you getting it for a few $$ more?

· イリジウム
15,405 Posts
I meant Akebono ASP vs Akebono ProAct. :D With ASP available, not sure why Akebono still sells ProAct at those prices.

That's why I said Element 3 are very good value, compared to Akebonos!

For example, ProActs are ACT1222A $46.79, ACT1212A $47.79
vs ASP1222A $50.79, ASP1212A $52.79.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts