Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 37K miles on our 2014 Corolla. I guess since it was mostly city driving, the pads and/or rotor are about done.
No squeaking or anything from the brakes but definitely need to use a lot more foot force to stop.

I was thinking about ceramic brake pads but I've not been able to find a good brand. Not sure about the rotor - it may still have life but I would appreciate any recommendations for rotors as well.
The car has front discs and drums on the rear.

·
イリジウム
12,019 Posts
Look on rockauto for Akebono ProAct or their stronger ASP pads. Centric C-Tek or coated Premium rotors. Search up a 5% discount code.

·
Registered
213 Posts
go to rockauto.com and get the raybestoes elements 3 rotors (exact same as the coated premium ones at Napa auto) and the adaptive one pads from napa. this has been the best combo i have found. the rotors don't rust and what rust shows on it is superficial and can be wiped off with a finger. this is after the car not being driven for several days and it raining. I've messed with so many pad and rotor combos and this has been the best i have found.
i get pads local because of defects in materials i have had with many at rockauto and it is easier to return them local if needed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would visually inspect the pads and rotors first. Seems like 37k miles is not much. But, I would flush and change the brake fluids if you haven’t done so. It’s good to do this every three years. You’ll feel the difference on your brake pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,056 Posts
I'm installing some EBC rotors and Redstuff pads on my 10th Gen Corolla. I still have plenty of pad left at 103k miles but I want extra stopping power after installing my turbo. I'm driving out to the Smokey Mountains from Washington State to drive the Tail Of The Dragon and explore the area more than I was able to 4 years ago. I'll try to report back with an update from what I think of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies. I definitely will have the brakes inspected. I don't believe we've ever had a brake flush so I will explore that option

·
Registered
156 Posts
37K does seem to be a bit early for this corolla. Just did a 100K mile service on my daughters car and I would say the front pads are 50% worn and the discs are smooth. Checked the rear drums and I can barely tell they have wear on them. Very little dust fell out also.
Driving conditions will have an effect. Salt and rain are probably life shorteners

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,056 Posts
If you are doing city driving most of the time 37k miles can easily destroy brakes when they are always being used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update - I got the brake fluid flushed. I really did not know that needed a change - I just assumed the pads were done after 37K of city driving. I'm very interested in cars but have no peers who share these interests so I just relied on the car manual. It never had any recommended fluid change interval.
Immediately a big difference after the flush and the shop checked out the front brakes for me - they said no problems and plenty of pad life left.

Thanks you guys for the guidance.

·
イリジウム
12,019 Posts
Good to hear that worked out for you!!

Yes, brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years regardless of miles as it absorbs moisture from the air. Not sure why Toyota doesn't have a recommendation for that. I guess they want to sell more cars. :D

Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic brake fluid is what I use and recommend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts