Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ,anybody know any tricks for getting the two pins out to change the pads ,mine are rusted in pretty good,really don't want to take the caliper off to put in vice so I can punch them out .I can't seem to do it with the hose attached ,not enough room to get a good blow at it ,thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had that same problem with mine. I used a ton of penetrating fluid and hammered away until three of the four (two pins, two sides) finally came out. Still, one of them was stuck. I drilled off the head of that pin so I could hammer it out the "wrong" way. I would probably use a dremel instead of a hand drill if you have one. Anyway, that was the only way I could hammer at it with enough force to get it out (without removing the entire assembly).

Either way, I recommend buying new pins and putting some anti-seize on them to reduce your problems next time. Oh, and be careful not to get penetrating fluid on the rubber boots that surround the brake pistons. I did that and one of mine is a little "soggy" now. Brakes work fine though.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i had to take a cutting wheel and a die grinder to cut the pins. take the caliper off. cut the pin flush with the cliper . drill out what was left of the old pin.

installed new pins that i bought from a local parts store. also check to see if you calipers are frozen. it happens and if they dont squeez back in with a pair of channel locks youll know its time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts