Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 2wd 4runner and i am in the process of doing the rotors and pads. however, when i was looking over the old pads as i took them off, i notice that they overhang on the rotor and now have a lip/groove along the top of the pad. i put the new rotor on, samesize as the old one, put new pads on, and still have the overhang. both rotors and the pads are from oreillys

anyone else experience this issue? if so, how did you solve it?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sounds like you have generic rotors, which is what Oriellys like to sell, one size fits all. I would suggest going either to Napa or the Dealer and get the right rotors. Your pads should fit on the rotors and leave about an 1/8" from edge to rotor to the outside of the pad. Your pad should not extend beyond the edge of the rotor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the rotor is the issue. Only reason I say that, is because with the rotor on, there is very little space from the outer perimeter of the rotor to caliper. If I go any bigger, the rotor will not fit. Any smaller, that will cause more overhang.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You did not mention the part at first of the rotor clearance. Kinda hard to help if you don't give all info. If the rotor is just fitting inside of caliper then maybe the fault is the caliper itself. May not be large enough to grip the rotor properly. Need to check all part numbers too make sure that everything that is on is right. Someone else may have put the wrong calipers on?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You did not mention the part at first of the rotor clearance. Kinda hard to help if you don't give all info. If the rotor is just fitting inside of caliper then maybe the fault is the caliper itself. May not be large enough to grip the rotor properly. Need to check all part numbers too make sure that everything that is on is right. Someone else may have put the wrong calipers on?
Where can i find part numbers on the calipers? Also, would it be best to get the brake pads directly from Toyota?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the bushings the caliper slides on worn out? That can allow the caliper to cock up and wear the pads like that.
from what i saw when taking the calipers in and out, did not notice any bushing wear

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bolt the caliper on and try to wiggle it.
Ill give it a wiggle when i get the chance.

as for the pads, will pads from o'reillys work, or should i get some from toyota?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got some new pads and they fit properly. whoever did a brake job on this prior to me owning it, put the wrong pads on. went to toyota and got pads based off the vin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts