Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Various Toyotas
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Camry. I have new pads that come with the new replacement support plates. There are two types of the pad support plates that you can see in the photo. My question is which type do I use? Both? Some of the plates have a little clip or wing that is on there (top of photo) and others don't have it (bottom of photo). From the Toyota FSM, I can clearly see that the plates with the little wing or arm or whatever that is does go on the bottom part of the caliper bracket, but the diagram is not clear for the plates that go on the top portion. Does the top portion have the same plates as the bottom, or does the top portion use the plates that don't have the wing/arm?

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,393 Posts
^^^^ FSM for 1995 ^^^^^ My aftermarket pads came with both and some terrible duct boots for the sliding pins. They were so tight the pin with the rubber bushing wouldn't slide. Thank goodness I have a set of OEM boots from another job I hadn't used.
W95c

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I thought there were four different types of those clips? At least on my Camry and Avalon, there were. I just remove the old ones one at a time, find a match, and replace it. Then move on to the next.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,393 Posts
I thought there were four different types of those clips? At least on my Camry and Avalon, there were. I just remove the old ones one at a time, find a match, and replace it. Then move on to the next.
Were both you Cam & Avalon V6 or had a brake upgrade? As you know, my auto is a one owner (me) and I have been the only one to replace the pads changing only one clip at a time so I know mine are correct per FSM. I would say that auto with a couple owners could get these switched around.
W95c

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,393 Posts
Two piston caliper
IDK why this pic is sideways. A week or so ago someone posted that the V6 didn't use the rubber bushing on the slide pin, but clearly it does.
W95c

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Were both you Cam & Avalon V6 or had a brake upgrade? As you know, my auto is a one owner (me) and I have been the only one to replace the pads changing only one clip at a time so I know mine are correct per FSM. I would say that auto with a couple owners could get these switched aroun
Nope, no brake upgrade on either one.

My Camry, I owned since new, so I know for sure those never got mixed up. The Avalon was purchased by my FIL, and gifted to me at 139k miles, so no doubt he had the brake pads changed out at least once by a mechanic (he was NOT a DIY'er). I suspect these clips were never changed out during his ownership, so I was likely the first to do it.

·
Various Toyotas
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the one piston caliper for the 5SFE. Problem with just replacing with what was there before is that someone else worked on this before, and I don't know if how he placed them is correct. From the diagram on my '96 FSM, the bottom clip definitely has the wings, but I can't tell with the upper clips even from the first photo shown above.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,494 Posts
I've had this problem as well on my 95. Usually I have the question after I have dismantled the brakes.

I think the clips with "wings" are to keep the pads from moving forward/backward in the caliper and causing a click. So, where should the pad be so as not to move. I think the pad should be kept toward the front of the caliper so the spring (wings) should be in the bottom rear of the pad. If you use reverse the pad will tend to move to the rear but once in forward the wings will push the pad back to the front.

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,808 Posts
When I did brakes on my 1995 V6 LE non abs jvin, I think I did the same. I matched it with what was supplied. That one had the 'wings'.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
514 Posts
I just remember thinking afterward that I had installed the low brake pad indicator(s) on the wrong end of the pad and I wasn't going to take off the calipers again to put them in the correct position. Now I cannot even remember if the indicator was suppose to be on the top or bottom end of the pads? I hope you get this figured out about these clips as now I'm confused. And, if anyone is reading this thread at a later date these clips do not come with all replacement brake pads and I wasted a lot of time having to source them separately so make sure you get them.

You do have the "anti squeal springs" to install correct ? They should be installed as well but mine were missing until I installed the new pads.

·
Various Toyotas
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just remember thinking afterward that I had installed the low brake pad indicator(s) on the wrong end of the pad and I wasn't going to take off the calipers again to put them in the correct position. Now I cannot even remember if the indicator was suppose to be on the top or bottom end of the pads? I hope you get this figured out about these clips as now I'm confused.

You do have the "anti squeal springs" to install correct ?
For the wear indicator that make noise when the pads get close to being too thin, I think it's inside pad on the top. I thought the 5SFE didn't have a wear indicator and it was only for the V6? Yes, I have those wishbone springs. No problem with that. It's just the various pad support plates. As I said, I know the one with the spring goes on the lower part of the caliper, but I'm not sure about the top. I'd like to do it correctly. I've done these kind of brakes several times and just don't remember.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
514 Posts
"I can clearly see that the plates with the little wing or arm or whatever that is does go on the bottom part of the caliper bracket, but the diagram is not clear for the plates that go on the top portion"

I am thinking the bracket itself will answer your question.
I'm hoping that Toyota made the bracket where you cannot get the clip ends mixed up and maybe I was getting mixed up on which side the low / wear indicators were suppose to be on (inside / outside instead of the top / bottom.)

I at least thought there was a wear indicator that was a part of the clips on my 5SFE but maybe I should have just skipped commenting in this thread as I can't remember for sure.

·
Various Toyotas
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"I can clearly see that the plates with the little wing or arm or whatever that is does go on the bottom part of the caliper bracket, but the diagram is not clear for the plates that go on the top portion"

I am thinking the bracket itself will answer your question. I'm hoping that Toyota made the bracket where you cannot get the ends mixed up.
I'm pretty sure the notches in the bracket are the same. I'll check it again in the morning when I do this job.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,393 Posts
I at least thought there was a wear indicator that was a part of the clips on my 5SFE but maybe I should have just skipped commenting in this thread as I can't remember for sure.
The wear indicators are part of the brake pad, some have them, some don't depending on the vendor.
W95c

·
Various Toyotas
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Taking another look at the diagram and comparing the bottom pad support plates with the ones on the top, I think both top and bottom uses the support plates with the spring (what I was calling a "wing"). I have yellow arrows pointing to the springs. See below:

·
Registered
'96 Camry LE & '13 ES350
37 Posts
Are the pad support clips mirrored differently for 5SFE vs. 1MZFE?

For 5SFE, it looks like one type of clip is used for the outer brake pad and one type of clip for the inner brake pad.

For 1MZFE, it looks like each brake pad uses both types of clips, one on top, one on the bottom.

·
Various Toyotas
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are the pad support clips mirrored differently for 5SFE vs. 1MZFE?

For 5SFE, it looks like one type of clip is used for the outer brake pad and one type of clip for the inner brake pad.

For 1MZFE, it looks like each brake pad uses both types of clips, one on top, one on the bottom.
Those Toyota diagrams are so hard to see fine detail. I can't tell. It looks to me that the outside clips top and bottom both have the springs. For the inside bottom clip it looks to be the same springed clip, so I assume the top of the inside must be the same, but the diagram is so poor I can't tell.

Yes, the double piston caliper, which is on the 1MZFE (I guess) does look like it uses the non-springed clip on the bottom and the springed clip on the top in the following pages of the FSM. That's curious, and makes me wonder about the single piston caliper setup.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts