Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 19,000 miles, I noticed an increase in my brake pedal travel. I have to press the pedal down alot more now to stop the truck. I had it in for service yesterday, they went over the brakes and said everything is fine, that an increase in pedal travel at this mileage is normal. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

·
Registered
94 Posts
TacoNick said:
At 19,000 miles, I noticed an increase in my brake pedal travel. I have to press the pedal down alot more now to stop the truck. I had it in for service yesterday, they went over the brakes and said everything is fine, that an increase in pedal travel at this mileage is normal. Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?
21000 on mine and no problem. It will increase some as the brakes wear and usually if you adjust the rear brakes it will take it out.
Terry

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
does the pedal feel spongy? if your pedal travel is getting longer, one of two things is likely happening.

1) your rear brakes are out of adjustment. have the dealership adjust them.
2) you have air in your brake lines. have your fluid flushed and bled.

-Mike

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
Sounds like it's a normal thing. Maybe you should take it to a different dealer.

Yesterday, I actually SLAMMED my brakes at an intersection because this dumb lady went through when her lane was supposed to stop. Luckily, I was going about 10-15 MPH, I slammed the brakes and stopped about 1 foot before her damn car. I honked her ass OUT. The brakes are not that great on this truck. On my BMW, they are amazing, in the rain they are unstoppable.

·
Registered
848 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:
Sounds like it's a normal thing. Maybe you should take it to a different dealer.

Yesterday, I actually SLAMMED my brakes at an intersection because this dumb lady went through when her lane was supposed to stop. Luckily, I was going about 10-15 MPH, I slammed the brakes and stopped about 1 foot before her damn car. I honked her ass OUT. The brakes are not that great on this truck. On my BMW, they are amazing, in the rain they are unstoppable.
If your brakes are unstoppable, woudn't be that a bad thing?

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
TacoNick said:
How much travel are you talking about. If your brake pedal is almost touching the fire wall then you got a major problem. Most of your stopping power is on your front disc brakes. To adjust your rear drum brakes you need to back up and hit your brakes. Do this several times and see if your pedal travel decreases. It is normal to have some travel.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
AlpineJLAudio said:

The brakes are not that great on this truck. On my BMW, they are amazing, in the rain they are unstoppable.
I wish my brakes were like your Beemer, rear disc brakes$$$$!!! You got to remember Your truck isn't a sports car!:lol:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Adjusting the back brakes should take care of it. But if you can, adjust them by taking the rear wheels and drums off and manually adjust them. Then spray them down with brake cleaner.

A shop would charge about 30-45 bucks to do it if you want to bring it in to get done.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wouldn't the dealer have checked the adjustment of the rear brakes when I reported the pedal travel increase? I don't have to press the pedal all the way down to the firewall to stop the truck. It's just that the pedal travel isn't what it used to be.
Is this something that happens with rear drum brakes? I wouldn't know--I can't remember the last time I had a vehicle with drum brakes--maybe back in the 80's.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
TacoNick said:
Wouldn't the dealer have checked the adjustment of the rear brakes when I reported the pedal travel increase? I don't have to press the pedal all the way down to the firewall to stop the truck. It's just that the pedal travel isn't what it used to be.
Is this something that happens with rear drum brakes? I wouldn't know--I can't remember the last time I had a vehicle with drum brakes--maybe back in the 80's.
They should have but who knows what they could have done or checked. Did the dealer say how much brake pad material was on the front pads and rear shoes. Usually when they check your brakes they give a wrttten check list what they checked and observe and how much material is on each pad and brake shoes. When you say " the pedal travel isn't what it used to be" sure it will be different especially if you use your brakes a lot when hauling heavy stuff in your bed or use a trailer to pull things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts