Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and couldn't find the answer to this so here goes. I just replaced my brake pads and now when I let up on the brake pedal I get a squeak from the brakes. Whats wrong with it?

·
Registered
633 Posts
As long as they work fine you shouldn't really worry about this. (If they work fine I would imagine you installed them well).
This will probably stop in 10 to 15 miles, just the time that your pads get the shape of your discs

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nico said:
As long as they work fine you shouldn't really worry about this. (If they work fine I would imagine you installed them well).
This will probably stop in 10 to 15 miles, just the time that your pads get the shape of your discs

I've driven over 300 miles with them like that and they still squeak. The brakes work fine and I noticed a hell of a lot of difference in the grip but the squeak just annoys me. Didn't know if there was anything else wrong or not.

·
Registered
180 Posts
What he said or they could just be dry. Maybe its even wear in because i know that with alot of things problems can stop or the product can become better over time so. Good luck though.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Do you have the shims on the back of the pads?

Did you use disc brake quiet goop?

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
i agree with 88LE, you wouldnt think so but those shims help a lot. i've noticed that a lot of gen3 and 4 cams have squeaky brakes (atleast here in maryland).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Admiral said:
i agree with 88LE, you wouldnt think so but those shims help a lot. i've noticed that a lot of gen3 and 4 cams have squeaky brakes (atleast here in maryland).

I got the ceramic brake pads because I heard they don't squeal like regular pads. I didn't put shims in there because I didn't have any and there weren't any already on the car. I guess when I get some time I'll try that and see if it helps any. I just didn't know if it was something with the calipers or not because it only squeaks when the brakes are being released. I never had any squealing when applying the brakes, even when I was test driving it with the new pads.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Check to make sure the U shaped shims/clips are not rubbing against the rotors. Also did you have your rotors resurfaced or replaced? Also like 88le make sure to use the silicone lubricant that comes with the pads. Oh and the Raybestos QS(ceramic) usually come with new shims/hardware. But my guess is that if you didnt resurface/replace the rotors than they are glazed and need to be resurfaced if they are with machine-to spec(not too thin)

·
-VIPStyleCars-
248 Posts
yeah, i have a very similar problem...

my car is an 03 se v6, i've taken to the toyota dealership for 2 or so times...
first, the rotor was resurfaced then the squeak was gone for awhile... then 3-4 months later i taken the car in the dealership for the second time again. this time they upgraded into a "beta rotor and brakes" i dont know what the hell they meant but they said they did it and it was upgraded to the "04 camry version..." and that was sometime in early-mid spring. now i have squeaks again and i went to the dealership this week. the service dept. guy looked up my repair records on the computer and told me the resurface is only done once for the warranty. now it's upsetting with the noise and they guy just told me to either clean, or lubricate but it might tend to lose contact for braking. so i went to another toyota dealership and another mechanic took it in the shop and drove a little and came back 15-20 minutes later and told me nothing is wrong with the brake since i have practically new brakes and rotor and that's what he said, mainly because i guess its from the upgrade during the past months from the other toyota dealership. i was wondering how can he not find any problem and with the squeaking? now its really bothering me, so went to talk one of the toyota fellows and said to use a ceramic brake. i'm not quite sure if i should change into the ceramic brake already and get the stock toyota pads out, and what brand should i get if i do get the ceramic brakes; i searched and saw people recommend kvr, ct motorsports, tire rack; there's just too many not sure which one to go for and what's best for the car so i don't have to deal with another problem in the long run... other than that, he told me to come in the dealership again this monday or so and talk to the other mechanic about the problem if so he'll probably call straight to the main toyota dept or something and talk to them about the problem and see if they will allow the dealership to resurface the rotor or something... with that in mind, if i do get ceramic brake sets should i resurface the rotors again?
now it's just too much of a hassle, i just don't know what to do. can you guys help me out?
:(

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I wouldn't resurface them again but you can put a swirl on the rotors with an air drill and the proper sanding bit. I've had no squeels with my akebono pro-act ceramics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If the rotors aren't given a light scuff with medium emery cloth after they are resurfaced they may develop a squeal. If you have the rotors machined and reuse the disc pads, scuff up the disc pads or they will glaze up again very quick. Silicon sealant on the back of the disc pads works as well as any antisqueal compound. Use only a little and apply brakes as soon as you get them together to push out excess silicon.

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
I need to replace my front pads... could you guys recommend a place for purchasing?

also

pro's and con's of using ceramic vs. "other"

Thanks for any help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts