Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Pickup
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 93 toyota pickup 2wd with disks in the front and drums in the back. the pedal started pulsating a while back and and it got worse and worse until the truck started shaking violently whenever i hit the brakes. so i replaced the rotors and pads, but it didnt help at all the truck still shakes and the pedal still pulsates. what else could be causing this?

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Pickup
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think the bearing are good but it might me loose suspension..

and yes when i spin the tires a hear the pads rubbing off and on and it slows the tire quickly

·
Registered
92 toyota ext cab 4x
89 Posts
sounds like your rotors need to be turned or you need new ones..over time the rotor surface gets wavy,it looses its flat brake surface.turning is when a shop grinds the rotors flat again.they can only be ground so much so you might need new ones

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since you stated that you replaced the rotors, I suspect you have some worn bushing(s) in your front suspension system. I had similar problem with a 5 series bmw...turned out to be worn out control arms.

·
Registered
92 toyota ext cab 4x
89 Posts
duh..stupid me.i should read the whole post before i speak up :facepalm:.....sorry dude...i still think its a brake prob..i dont think worn bushings can cause the pedal to pulsate

·
Newbbie
2004 Toyota Tacoma
536 Posts
Also make sure you dont have built up rust or debris on the rotor mounting surface! If you do have rust or any debris for that matter on the rotor mounting surface, it will cause the rotor to not seat properly giving you the impression that you have an out-of-round rotor. I would remove the rotors and take a wire brush to the mating surfaces to knock off any loose stuff. If that doesent solve the problem then i would presume its a loose suspension component. Are your tires wearing normally?

·
Registered
1993 Toyota Pickup
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so when i took the old rotor off they looked to be in pretty good shake, so i think they were never the problem

as for the mounting surface i dont recall any rust or anything i think they came off clean and id rather not go back in for now..

but i was told by a mech that the shocks were going bad so it may be a suspension problem

·
Registered
120 Posts
if you have pulse at the pedal its a break problem period. Now did you buy NEW rotors Or turn the old ones ? to the eye a rotor can look fine but be warped. I work at an autoparts store and we turn rotors and drums, Ive turned hundreds....always the same story pulsing pedal. Is the shake front or rear ? drums dropped can be a problem but dont normally pulse the pedal, go new rotars or take the old ones in and have them checked for true. Id bet they are the problem from the information youve posted.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Since the front pads AND rotors were replaced, look at the rear. drums don't usually cause a pulsing pedal but they certainly CAN. I've fixed cars/trucks with that problem a few times. the key is whether or not the steering wheel shakes/vibrates with the pedal. if it does, then it's something in the front end, if not, then it's probably in the back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts