Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when cold (i've only noticed it at 25F and below) my brakes squeal a bit when i'm backing up. anyone else get this? know of any TSB's out on it?

it's not a huge deal, but i'd still like to get it fixed.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma access cab
503 Posts
breaks squeal

NESW20 said:
when cold (i've only noticed it at 25F and below) my brakes squeal a bit when i'm backing up. anyone else get this? know of any TSB's out on it?

it's not a huge deal, but i'd still like to get it fixed.

-Mike

I have the same problem with mine. I thought it might be brake dust. It's everytime i back up. It would be nice to know if there are any tsb's on that. :confused:

Chris

·
Registered
DC, Sprt, 4x4
120 Posts
Yup, just took mine in for the second time for this issue. They keep telling me it is brake dust, but it is getting rediculous and I am tired of pulling into spots and stopping with a new truck that sounds like it needs new brakes. I think it is time for us to call Toyota and get someone's attention about this matter.

I asked if any tsbs on it but they said no.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma D/C
309 Posts
i have same problem they told me let the truck break in more i only have 700 miles. its an odd squeal though only while backing.

·
The Thread Killer
Taco DC 4X4 SR5
781 Posts
fireman9170 said:
i have same problem they told me let the truck break in more i only have 700 miles. its an odd squeal though only while backing.
Same here, mine does the same thing. Only when backing up, and first thing in the morning. I have 13,100 on my truck, so the break in thing is out the window! I think it's the type of break pad they put on the truck :confused: I guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought I might need new brakes, since I have 22K on the truck already and drive in congestion a lot. But, I think it only does the squeal when I'm backing out and its cold.

My guess is that its crappy pads...I'll probably just replace in about 5K and forget about it.

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
511 Posts
Same here, squeals everytime I back up in the morning. Except it doesnt squeal after I've driven it for awhile, or I let it warm up an ungodly amount of time. Only seems to squeal when its below freezing though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Every truck I have ever owned, the brakes squealed slightly when cold.

My Tacoma included.

Especially when applying brakes in reverse when cold, I think because rear brakes are mainly used. Forward movement uses mostly front brakes. 90% of the time you use mainly front brakes.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma D/C
309 Posts
semi mettalic brake pads with that metal rust very quickly and thats what causes the squeal according to the stealer

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that dealership is full of crap. the only thing i can really come up with is if the primary shoes in the drums just need to wear in or something. it really shouldn't be anything with the disc brakes, as pads are not directional at all, so if they were going to squeal, they'd squeal in more than just reverse.

-Mike

·
Dressed N Black
352 Posts
thank god for a heated garage:cool:

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I wonder if the 05/06 Tacoma brake pads are a common size and can be upgraded to a different brand or model?

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
I don't have a daily squeal. On the rare occasion that I don't drive my truck for a few days I might get an initial squeak out of them. Then again after a day or two of sitting, the rotors have a light layer of rust on them.

·
Old TN User
'05 Tacoma DC SR5
528 Posts
Tacolfe said:
I live in northeast and it’s been very cold. Close to 5000mi. and never a squeal. I will be on the lookout though.
I live Norther and Easter and mine squeel when it's cold :) .
10,000 km.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts