Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I bought my 2014 XLE AWD V6 Venza for the first time since buying it new a couple of months ago and the dealer says in needs Rotors, Calipers, and Pads on both rear tires due to corrosion. They want $1,500 to do it. I called a trustworth independent garage and they want $650 using Centric parts (they say toyota get their brake parts from Centric).

I thought it was strange that the price difference was so big. The dealer is usually higher but not more than double.

Since I am doing this, does anyone have any suggestions of different Rotors, Calipers, or Pads?

Thanks,

Jeff

· Registered
789 Posts
I bought my 2014 XLE AWD V6 Venza for the first time since buying it new a couple of months ago and the dealer says in needs Rotors, Calipers, and Pads on both rear tires due to corrosion. They want $1,500 to do it. I called a trustworth independent garage and they want $650 using Centric parts (they say toyota get their brake parts from Centric).

I thought it was strange that the price difference was so big. The dealer is usually higher but not more than double.

Since I am doing this, does anyone have any suggestions of different Rotors, Calipers, or Pads?

Thanks,

Jeff
Why to indy mechanics feel they have to say things such as "Toyota gets their brakes from Centric"?

· Registered
24 Posts
Centric is a good brand... I just put Wagner parts on mine... $150 for ceramic pads and rotors front and rear. Front calipers cost me another $140.

Personally it is doubtful you need calipers, but if you get a second inspection/opinion and if they say the same thing you might go with it... at price tag of $650 it is doubtful that independent mechanic is putting new calipers on ... but he might be.

another thing you should consider is a full brake system bleed to get fresh brake fluid in all the lines.

2011 Venza
3,167 Posts

Thanks,

Jeff
I really doubt that the dealer quote included calipers. I had to replace one a couple of weeks ago and the dealership wanted $470 for just the caliper!

· Registered
167 Posts
I put new pads and rotors on the rear of my wife's 2013 V6 XLE last July. Toyota pads from eBay ($32) and Centric rotors from RockAuto ($70) shipping included. Took just a few hours to do the work.

· Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
611 Posts
I really doubt that the dealer quote included calipers. I had to replace one a couple of weeks ago and the dealership wanted $470 for just the caliper!
I confirm the dealer in Canada also asked for about 450$ just for the calliper. I got a refurbished one for about 140$ at Napa.

Anothing I did is to get the rubber kits for the front brakes. You get all the boots and seals for about 90$, so you can refurbish both callipers (and the other rubber parts of the brakes).

jf

· Banned
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
5,643 Posts

Thanks,

Jeff
Any name brand rotor/pad will work well. There is no need for the noise/groan from drilled/slotted fad rotors. Use solid blank rotors from Raybestos, Wagner, Bosch, Fremax.... and there is nothing wrong with the quality OE rotors from Toyota

Toyota OE rear brake pads are nothing to brag about. Raybestos EHT, Wagner OEX, EBC, Akebono... are some good pads. Check Rockauto, Ebay, Amazon... for excellent onine pricing.

A proper brake job requires thorough cleaning, hub cleaning, new rotor rinse/wash, quality silicone brake grease, torquing everything, pad/caliper hardware kit, and a full all around bleed... good luck finding someone competent as many take 'all' the shortcuts.

Store rebuilt calipers/brackets tend to be excellent and usually come with a good warranty. A good mechanic should have no problem rebuilding your old calipers if nothing is stripped/seized.

If parking brakes work well, they still need a good cleaning/lubing/adjusting... with the new rotors. If worn or not working, new shoes/hardware/spring kits... need to be installed to. Rust belt cars can sometimes rust the backing plate. I'd wager that your '14 rear backing plates are still good. Minor rust is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.