Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tow a travel trailer a lot with my 2017 XLE. Over 30000 towing miles so far and it does well. However, just wondering if anyone has installed any type of brake upgrades. I have not experienced any braking issues but thinking having some extra capability for things like long downgrades might be worthwhile. I've seen some kits from CarID and others with slotted rotors and different pads but have not seen any Highlander specific reviews.

Thanks!

·
2019 Highlander LE AWD V6
2019 Highlander AWD
195 Posts
If you are concerned about braking - perhaps your trailer brakes are not contributing sufficiently.

Increasing the braking of the tow vehicle without proper braking from the trailer risks jackknifing.
John

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
slotted rotors = downgrade
pads = stick with major/known brands

If you need better brakes, you have the wrong tow vehicle or need to learn how to drive

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow! Lots of rain on the parade.

Check out Rockauto.com. They have several option. Be aware that there are trade offs for different pads, for example, ceramic pads work better after they’re warm. That means in city traffic that don’t have good initial bit till warmed up. You could try some different types to see how they work for you. That all have to bed in well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
slotted rotors = downgrade
pads = stick with major/known brands

If you need better brakes, you have the wrong tow vehicle or need to learn how to drive
Part of me wants to agree with you but for the most part I have to disagree.

Anything I have ever towed has compromised my ability to drive safely. I currently tow a 1000# aluminum boat w/o brakes and a 2000# camper w/ brakes that is 2500#when loaded up. With my little boat I had a squirrel jump out at me the other week. I could have easily gone around it without the boat attached but with the boat there was no way I was going to swerve like that over a squirrel (I somehow passed over the squirrel without hitting it).

My real point is that I see people who tow with dangerous rigs all the time and it pisses me off. The OP here tows a lot and is interested in putting effort into improving his towing capabilities. That's the guy I want to share the road with.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you are concerned about braking - perhaps your trailer brakes are not contributing sufficiently.

Increasing the braking of the tow vehicle without proper braking from the trailer risks jackknifing.
John
This...

With the trailer brakes set correctly the tow vehicle still only needs to stop itself. If it feels like the tow vehicle has added braking stress look at the trailer, brake controller, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts