Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those with 95-97 Avalons. Do you feel that braking power is adequate? I know they have front dual piston calipers whilethe 98-99 Avalons have single piston. They do not perform well at all. I want to upgrade to the dual piston calipers if it is worth it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would like to answer this, but unfortunately, the 97 Avalon has not been my daily driver for over a decade. Wife steals all new cars from me after a few years. Then a relative stole it from her. Then another relative stole it.

Me? I just get to monitor it, maintain it and post on a forum about it. And once in awhile wash and wax it or buy some gas.

That said, I do not recall any inadequacies on braking (I drive it every few months just to check it out), but I also use OEM brake pads and very good tires and have my brake fluid changed every 2-3 years, and my suspension components are usually in pretty good shape.

·
it lives..and spins wheel
97 Avalon
613 Posts
its kinda a cool mod i don't think it's necessary

i think avalon labeled dual piston calipers and high quality brake pads and tires

i think thats all the performance braking you need

why swap caliper brackets from something that houses a 95 avalon front pad?
i would just find avy/cam calipers

didnt check the ebay links. at first. they labeled to fit.

little different than the 'ls400' swap.

but yeah that stuff on ebay will work. not 100% sure on pads fitting they should... but pads are cheap anyways

·
Administrator
14,392 Posts
For what it's worth, I dug up info on the caliper bore diameters and did some calc's. These are buried in one of the brake upgrade threads.

Stock (my Camry) front caliper has single 2.25" bore = 3.976 in^2
94 front caliper has dual 1.68" bore = 4.433 in^2, 11% increase
91-92 Lexus LS400 caliper has dual 1.75" bore = 4.81 in^2, 21% increase
2001 Highlander single bore = 2.5" = 4.91 in^2, 24% increase

·
Registered
91 Posts
I forgot to mention, my car is a 98 avalon, so i still have the single piston brakes. I already had to resurface the brake disk once.
And since the 95-97 avalons with abs have the dual pistons. I was hoping the i can still use the old brake pads and caliper brackets, if i do buy them

·
Registered
99 Avalon
100 Posts
cross drilled rotors are not good to weather/ daily use.

i would suggest slotted rotors
my front rotors are drilled and slotted by powerslot, I have a set for the back but I'm waiting to change calipers and add s/s brakelines to the mix before I put that on... Besides I put a brand new OEM type rotor and pad on the rear when I bought the car so I'm not in a hurry to do it. If slotted rotors aren't good for daily use why does Audi and some other sedans use a gold color front cross drilled rotor as the front OEM? Cross drilled helps stop the car faster, slotted helps keep the brakes cool. When I had my BMW e30 turbo all I used was cross drilled and the car was my daily driver as well.

·
it lives..and spins wheel
97 Avalon
613 Posts
did you not see my post advocate slotted rotors?

however i live in a place with weather and varying temps with lots of freezing through a year.

not sure of brand but i've seen crossdrilled rotors crack and split. without being 'worn through'

some being almost unhinged from the hub area. and most just being fractures and cracks between the drilled holes...

i'm glad people have had good luck. however due to design it is not optimal to see large variances in temp

this was more so the point.

never seen or heard such a concept. on a standard vented rotor, or a slotted rotor.

my .02

and out of curiosity.

what year and model audi come with these?

i've never seen them on a 'stock' ride.

though i'm no german car snob.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.