Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to my Toyota Service Department and this is what I told them "CUSTOMER STATES BRAKE PEDAL GOES DOWN TO FLOOR. DOESNT FEEL RIGHT. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE AS OTHER COROLLA DID NOT FEEL SAME WHEN BRAKIN". So I left my car there for about 4 hours and then when I came back to pick up my car, this is what they told me "WAY OUT OF ADJUSTMENT BY 20CLICKS OR MORE- ADJUSTED REARS AND RETEST DROVE, NOW NORMAL OPP". My car feels amazing now when I brake because I was already planing on buying some EBC Red-Stuff. So any one having this problem take it to your local Toyota and get it checked. Warranty payed for it all.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla S
104 Posts
when you say it goes down to the floor, do you mean there is no pressure to the brake pedal or what?

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I over exaggerated so they could check them but yes it was almost to the floor when my car was cold. There was just no pressure.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
I'm guessing that the clicks is simply some degree of measurement when adjusting brakes. I doubt you hear the clicks in regular usage (like athe e-brake).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've noticed at times when i'm applying my brakes, it feels as if the brakes "let go" for a second or so and then grab again. Doesn't do it in a repeatative manner, just happens every once in a while.
I don't know how to describe it other than that.
It's never got to the point where I thought I would be unable to stop.
I don't think it has anything to do with the ABS because anytime it has happened i've been going at a low speed while city driving and applying light brake pressure.

I've had 3 previous vehicles(non Toyota) and none of them ever did that.
It doesn't happen as much now as it did when the car was brand new.

Is this a trait with Corolla braking systems?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think I have the same problem.

My brakes go to the floor as well. When the dealer said that it took 20 clicks to correct the problem, I do not think that you could do much more than 20 clicks to correct the problem. I do my own brakes, and 20 clicks is near the maximum.

·
Megan Exhaust
507 Posts
I've noticed at times when i'm applying my brakes, it feels as if the brakes "let go" for a second or so and then grab again. Doesn't do it in a repeatative manner, just happens every once in a while.
I don't think it has anything to do with the ABS because anytime it has happened i've been going at a low speed while city driving and applying light brake pressure.

Thats your ABS kicking in

·
Registered
2010 Corolla LE
145 Posts

Most likely DFCO. DFCO kicks in at 25 mph. The feeling is similar to engine braking. I still can't get use to it. I end up stopping farther away.

·
Registered
519 Posts
the 20 clicks refers to the star wheel adjuster on the rear drum brakes. It sets the clearance between the shoes and the drum, usually when the shoes wear down, the brake should self adjust to maintain a constant clearance but often when you service the shoes, you need to play with that star wheel adjuster to set the initial clearance

I am surprised that it was out of adjustment by 20 clicks, that is a lot of clearance. Did you modify anything to the shoes?

As for the brake pedal feeling soft momentarily and feel hard again, it is normal when the AC kicks in or any change in load such as a fan, lights, defroster etc. because the vacuum to the brake booster changes

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the 20 clicks refers to the star wheel adjuster on the rear drum brakes. It sets the clearance between the shoes and the drum, usually when the shoes wear down, the brake should self adjust to maintain a constant clearance but often when you service the shoes, you need to play with that star wheel adjuster to set the initial clearance

I am surprised that it was out of adjustment by 20 clicks, that is a lot of clearance. Did you modify anything to the shoes?

As for the brake pedal feeling soft momentarily and feel hard again, it is normal when the AC kicks in or any change in load such as a fan, lights, defroster etc. because the vacuum to the brake booster changes
I never touched my brakes on the Corolla. Before I had performance brake pads, slotted and cross drilled rotors, and steel brake line upgraded on all four and had no drums so this was a big difference when I started driving the Corolla. Brakes are good now after the adjustment, once I finish my brakes pads I am going with some ebc slotted rotors and green stuff brake pads.

·
2010 Corolla S
2010 Corolla S
365 Posts
this has nothing to do with an actual problem, but I have to say, the brakes really do live up to the amount of suck that reviewers write of. I was going to go through a light that had just turned yellow going 50mph when a lady across the street decided to just start walkin across. I'm not sure how far away I was, but even jamming on the brakes I almost ended up in the middle of the intersection, a huge 4 laner. I felt like I was slowing down very gradually. I would not be surprised if I end up doing brake upgrades as well just so I don't rear-end someone.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The "clicks" they are refering to is the number of clicks you hear when you set the parking brake. When the rear brakes wear, the parking brake needs to be pulled up further to engage. When the rear brakes are set correctly, it should be around 6-9 clicks.

Rear brakes are self adjusting on most cars, but that happens on some models by using the parking brake (which you should do anyways). The dealer will adjust it by rotating the star wheel thru a hole in the backer plate of the drums.

Also, your brakes felt lower because whereas the front brakes are self adjusting, the rear shoes have return springs that return the shoes to the stops. This means the brake pedal needs to be pushed further to move more hydraulic fluid to the slave cylinders on the drums to move the shoes out because the pads on the shoes wear down and are further away from the drums.

Anyways, that's the clicks they're talking about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, so I'm having issues with the brakes as well, and I'm having the dealership look at it as we speak. They just called and said they understand what I'm saying, but do not find it out of the norm after test driving it. And apparently, as far as adjusting it, said they cannot do anything to adjust the brakes so that they are more sensitive. I'm picking up the car in a few hours, any suggestions?

·
Registered
439 Posts
on cars with rear drum brakes there is a small adjustment wheel within the brake hub, i agree with hungt1999 that is what the tech is talking about when he says "clicks" as the adjustment wheel has small notches on it... 20 notches would be a considerable adjustment... it makes no sense for the tech to describe any brake adjustment in reference to the parking brake unless the actual parking brake alone was the issue, and the parking brake would be adjusted along the cable before he would have touched the actual drum assembly anyway... most of the pedal height is determined by the adjustment on the rear brake, if it was way out your pedal would go down close to the floor and feel mushy...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brake play issues

I've noticed this exact issue to. It is definitely NOT ABS kicking in. I notice it most often on the highway - when I slightly depress the brake it starts to grab, then as I press it more the brake releases. Only when I've depressed the brake pedal about 1." inches does the normal braking effectiveness kick in.

Someone mentioned DFCO - what is it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does anyone know if the Parking Brake is supposed to make a clicking sound when pulling it up? I use it all the time and have never heard a click.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Does anyone know if the Parking Brake is supposed to make a clicking sound when pulling it up? I use it all the time and have never heard a click.
It is supposed to click when you pull on the handle without pushing the button at the tip of the handle. If you push on the button and pull at the same time, you will not hear the clicks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts