Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some info on the difference between Semi-metallic and the cermanic type pads and what are the pros and cons of both. What I'm looking for is good braking from 0-60MPH and how long the brakes last. Which pads are best for my car. 1992 Camry Le with disc front and drums in back.

For the brake job I'm going to have them resurface the rotors, flush and fill the DOT3, tighten the cables and tighten the hand brake.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
sorry for asking this on your post as well but with dot 4 or 5 running around the same price as dot 3 wouldnt it be better go go with the higher dot?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
he can use dot4 the only thing different in 3 to 4 is the boiling tempature. and you can't use dot 5 in a 3 or 4 system because dot5 is silicone based or something. so it's not compat with 3/4

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
semi-metalic:
pros. last longer
cons. squeeling breaks,heavy wear on rotors,lots of brake dusk(dity rims),brake fade due to heating

(EDIT):
organic: just as much dust as semi-metalic but don't last as long...waste of money
(EDIT)

ceramic:
pros. last long (but not aslong as semi-metalic),virtually no dust,no squeeling,will not damage rotors, less fade and dissapates heat faster

dot3/4: are compatible and can absorb water and for this reason it is recomended to flush you brake system yearly to keep it at optimum operating level.

dot5: silicone based high boiling point cannot absorb water or moisture for this reason it should not be used on a vehicle that is driven daily due to the fact it will create water pocket and rust out brake lines at an eccelerated pace.

if i missed something feel free to add on:thumbup:

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I love silicon.

Actually, been doing DOT5 conversions on my last 5 motorcycles. Total drain and flush. Never did it with my car..Yet.

Thinking of flushing all fluids before fall. Any recommendations?

·
Pimpin' In Paradise.
2000 Toyota Camry
339 Posts
is ceramic and organic the same thing? or is that semi-metallic and organic? which is it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts