Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my brakes. it seems after driving 10-15 miles they lock up to where I cant even drive down the street. I sit and wait 20-30 minutes and can drive again. ive had the brakes completely replaced rotors, calipers, lines, even the abs unit and my brakes still lock up.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,608 Posts
I have a problem with my brakes. it seems after driving 10-15 miles they lock up to where I cant even drive down the street. I sit and wait 20-30 minutes and can drive again. ive had the brakes completely replaced rotors, calipers, lines, even the abs unit and my brakes still lock up.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Call the shop that replaced everything and ask them what they missed or screwed up. I wouldn't pay them to do any more, but they should fix what they did wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
odd

that dont sound good lol. but i agree if it wasnt doing it and now it is i would make the shop fix it. i have no clue what would cause them to lock to where u couldnt drive it. maybe the abs unit is bad. why did u have it replaced? that seems like alot of work to be done.

·
Registered
Black 95 Avalon XLS
302 Posts
Assuming that every other part was replaced the blame is pretty much forced onto the master cylinder/vacuum system. I'd assume that it's something with the vacuum system since it takes a while to build, but that's just a guess. Either way, replacing brake lines/calipers for a problem like that doesn't seem logical. If those replacements were recommended by a shop, I'd definitely take the car back to them and make them finish the repair.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Brake booster may have an air leak that allows outside air to gradually enter chamber and exert pressure on master cylinder triggering the brakes. Chunkywolf is correct. The first thing to check with your symptoms is the brake booster/vacuum system.
To diagnose: Disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster and see if the problem disappears. Be aware that the brake pedal will require more pressure without the brake booster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I cant take it back to the company that did the repairs cause they are no longer in business, also I dont live in the same state where I got the repairs done.

I took the car in cause my abs light came on and well 800 bucks later this problem starts happening. I took it back and they swore that they couldnt find any problems with the brake system.

Thats what I did was disconnected the vacuum line from the booster and a few minutes later I could drive the car again. Sounds like that might be the problem. hopefully its not an expensive fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just wondering if there was an alternative option to buying an avalon vacuum booster?

ie.. camry to avalon booster? same part?

any info would help.

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,608 Posts
Time for a little DIY......................

Point your browser to an online parts seller. Choose a TN supporting sponsor.
Look up your Avalon.
Look up Camry for same year.
Compare part numbers shown.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Guys,
for a brake booster, you'll have to be careful. The Avalon may have traction control, etc. I did a quick check on the early Avalon like 95-97, and the part number is only for that model and year. It doesn't cross over to a Camry. In order for me to narrow it down better, I would need the vehicle's VIN# to see exactly what the car is equipped with etc and then go from there.

·
Banned
199 Posts
i would remove the master cylinder, then look for the adjustment on the rod that operates it (from the brake pedal). i would back that adjustment off (make the rod shorter).

it's possible that your master cylinder is not going all the way back. in the "off" position it uncovers a port, that releases pressure in the system. this is especially likely since you said all the stuff was replaced. if the master cylinder was replaced and this was not done, that could be it. symptom would be a very high brake pedal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts