Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mine: 2007 4Runner
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, this car is my 4th Camry to own, and my 6th total Toyata vehicle.

I have never had any problems with brakes, until this past year with my wifes 2012, purchased new, Camry.

I noticed a high pitched noise from the vehicle while driving for more than 5 minutes, at any speed. When I would touch the brake pedal, the noise would temporarily stop, then start again. I had my wife take her car in to the dealership to have the brakes checked. When she made the appointment, they told her that it was probably an AC belt. . . I took the car in for this appointment, and explained that there is most likely a problem with one of the brakes possibly sticking. They checked all four sets, and declared "No Problems". Three days later, I could smell something burning when the wife returned from town, and saw that the drivers side rear wheel was smoking. Took the car in to a reputable tire shop, and they had to replace the caliper, pads, and rotor.

At the very next scheduled maintenance visit to the dealership, they told my wife that the same wheel needed new pads. I took the car back to the tire shop, and they saw that the left rear pads showed a high amount of wear, but was still ok. I didn't do anything at this time.

Wife takes her car back for another scheduled checkup at the dealership, (if it seems that we take the car in for checks often, it's because I make her get it looked over before making a trip from where we live down to Minneapolis and back) this check they changed the oil, once again noting that the rear wheel needed new pads, and possibly a new caliper. (starting to get annoyed at this point)

She left for a trip south a couple of days after the check and oil change, and a bit after she left I found a puddle of oil where she parks.(not a drip, a puddle, like a couple of quarts of oils worth of puddle) Called her to have son in law check the oil for her. Engine was covered, nothing on the dipstick. Had it towed, and they replaced the oil pressure sensor.

Now, most of this was simply venting. My question actually goes back to the brakes. . . is there a problem that Toyota has with this left rear brake system??

And btw, I really no longer trust my dealership.

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,798 Posts
I'd have dumped that dealership a while back
You need to do a rant to Toyo too.

I have had no left rear problem.
At 65K we replaced pads, rotor fine. Only did it because i was replacing sway bar links with Moog and switch to braided SS lines.
Before and after I only had a steal there very first thing I'm the morning when damp or raining. That's all.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE
25 Posts
Hmmm. That’s odd. A frozen caliper could certainly cause abnormal wear one wheel/corner. But to have it happen again with a second caliper suggest something else. I’m not terribly familiar with overall brake system in the Camry but perhaps some kind of issue with a brake force distribution system, or a bubble in the system (are your brakes spongy?), or maybe a flexible brake line that failed internally and is acting like a one-way check valve.

Regardless, I’d go on Google and find a independent shop with lots of good reviews and take ‘er in.

If I were DIYing this I’d start with new pads and rotors on the rear wheels, inspect the calipers and lube the caliper slide pins, inspect the brake lines for damage/excessive corrosion/etc, and finally flush the brake fluid. Then drive it for a few days and observe for weirdness. Then take it on a longish drive being sure to hit the brakes a bit hard a few times then take a infrared temp gun and check the temperatures of all 4 wheels and see if one is significantly hotter than the others. If so then that wheel has a problem. From there it might be new calipers on the offending wheel and/or new flexible brake lines.

You could also test by stopping on a flat paved area with no cars around, put it in neutral, turn off the engine, pushing the brake pedal fairly hard, then get out of the car and see if you can push the car yourself. If you can’t something is hanging up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Photojournalist
2012 Camry LE
1,798 Posts
Pretty is e brake shoe hanging or off center?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Toyota Camry
496 Posts
2015 Camry and 2006 Camry, neither have issues with brakes. I would have stopped going to that dealership after the first "No problem" mis-diagnosis. BTW, how many miles do you have on the Camry?

You live in a state that gets lots of snow and ice. I wonder if you have corrosion on the calipers or brake lines. I would do as busman suggests. find a good local, independent shop and explain what's going on. They can do a thorough investigation of the brakes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had a similar problem many years ago with a car that was more than the 6 years of your Camry. The problem was the short hose from the main brake line to the rotor. It was swollen on the inside, was not visible from the outside. The swelling prevented the caliper from releasing when the brake was released. The whine you heard could very well have been from the contact between the pad and rotor because the pad was not fully releasing from the brake. The diagnosis for this was made by an independent mechanic who had experience, suggested this was the problem, told me he could not test for it, but thought replacing the hose would work. It did.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE, 4 cyl
392 Posts
Have 2012 Camry SE with left rear brake problem. Metal part which pad slides inside of was not machined properly and caused the tabs on the end of the pad to hang up on it. Resulted in excessive wear on one of the factory pads and much less on the other (same wheel). Failed at about 50K miles.

Bought new afternarket rotors and OEM Toyota brand pads. Noticed pad also fit to tight and bound up on the two tabs. Used a belt sander on the tabs before I installed them. Pad fits fine now.

Check emergency brake as suggested above to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have 2012 Camry SE with left rear brake problem. Metal part which pad slides inside of was not machined properly and caused the tabs on the end of the pad to hang up on it. Resulted in excessive wear on one of the factory pads and much less on the other (same wheel). Failed at about 50K miles.

Bought new afternarket rotors and OEM Toyota brand pads. Noticed pad also fit to tight and bound up on the two tabs. Used a belt sander on the tabs before I installed them. Pad fits fine now.

Check emergency brake as suggested above to.

I realize this is an old post. Just wanted to add to the thread for others benefit.

I just pulled my daughters 2012's tires for inspection and noticed almost no wear on the rear brakes. The car has 75000 miles on it. The pads were stuck in the sliders. I had to tap the pads out of the sliders on both sides with a hammer and screwdriver. The original pads were almost full thickness. I filed the tabs on the pads and greased the sliders. This solved the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts