Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always done my own breaks and rotors for my oldsmobile then subaru. Always had alot of break dust probably from advanced auto parts parts. I never have break dust on my highlander and need new breaks. I am considering getting the best parts I can at NAPA and doing the job myself to save some money. Are the toyota parts that much better that I should just let the dealer do it?

·
Registered
2009 HL Limited; 2012 SE
88 Posts
You can still use Toyota parts and do it yourself. Given how easy brakes are versus the cost of having the dealer do it, I've always done them myself. That being said, I just did all 4 brakes and rotors with Bosch rotors - great sale on Ama#$% - and Wagner TQ ceramic pads. The new brakes are quiet, smooth and stop great. I used that same set-up on my old 2005 Pilot so I knew they were good. I believe OE pads are semi-metallic and I thought those were the ones that generate a lot of dust. The ceramic pads generate very little dust but I've read they get hotter. The Bosch rotors are great and substantially less than OE.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Always OEM. I've gotten very long life out of them and this car doesn't know what brake dust is, it's never seen any

They aren't much more $ than aftermarket

Sent by carrier pigeons via Tapatalk
Pads, rotors, or both? I thought the OEMs were junk, but haven't had much luck with "nicer" more expensive brakes either. They seem to wear just as fast...

·
Registered
Solara & Highlander
256 Posts
I just replaced my pads this weekend. I got 90K out of my pads. I probably could have pushed it another 5k. Because of that, I got another set of OEM pads. Like Sweeney, I reused my rotors as they still looked brand new. No warping and the thickness was also near new. I bet I can get another 90k on the original rotors.

If you do change rotors and go aftermarket, I recommend Centric. For my Solara I put on a set of Brembo rotors and they warped easily and corrode badly. I switched to Centric rotors on the Solara and they have held up great after 80k miles. They also paint the hubs. I had such good luck with Centric rotors I even put a set on my Jeep and they are also holding up great with a lot of off-roading.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Junk? Fast wearing? Far from it. I've got 160k on all the rotors, never been touched or turned and measure almost new in terms of thickness. Front pads lasted 95k originally, rear pads lasted 105k. I don't baby the car at all.
Well, you and I drive quite differently. The OEM parts that came on my car only lasted 60k. I don't think we can compare experiences.:frown:

·
Resident Nutcase
12,236 Posts
:dunno: I know I'm harder than the average driver on the brakes. I drive the car like I stole it, part of the reason I average around 15.5mpg...

People have posted having shorter life than the long life average seen here when they live in the rust belt and the rotors rust out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
:dunno: I know I'm harder than the average driver on the brakes. I drive the car like I stole it, part of the reason I average around 15.5mpg...

People have posted having shorter life than the long life average seen here when they live in the rust belt and the rotors rust out.
Nah, I'm in the northeast. I'll bet it was the temp swings and snow/salt/sand on the roads for 5 months of the year!

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,165 Posts

A lot of highway driving here. We're at 117k miles and still on the original pads. I have a front and rear set from Roman just sitting in the garage waiting.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
My front pads lasted about 70k miles. I drive the HL conservatively.

Taking into account I am in the NE and lots of stop and car traffic, I'm not surprised. There are many variables that will determine wear.

Reactions: ldeveraux

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you're happy with the stopping power, dust, and durability, then go Toyota. I had disc warpage, out of warranty of course, so I decided to upgrade. If the original discs warped, I figured a new set of the same thing would also.

I got the Wagner ThermoQuiet pads and Bosch QuietCast discs, and they are amazing. I spent $275 on parts on Amazon, and the performance is noticeably superior. I'd never go back.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Just had my rear original pads and rotors replaced on my 08HL. Had about 10% life left on pads and the rotors were pretty rusted. I take my car thru the wash about once a week in the winter months. I was not expecting this at 88,000 mi.:frown:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just had my rear original pads and rotors replaced on my 08HL. Had about 10% life left on pads and the rotors were pretty rusted. I take my car thru the wash about once a week in the winter months. I was not expecting this at 88,000 mi.:frown:
Being in NY, that's not bad. Salt is a m%^#$&#%#$er to our cars. I'm down in Pittsburgh and I did mine at 75k just because it was a nice day lol. I'm at 107k now and they look great still. I drive fairly conservatively most the time, which helps. 88k on originals is better than a LOT of cars.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just did the rears on my '11 HL with 56,000 on it 2 weeks ago. I probably could have gone another 5,000 at best... I bought all OEM parts from my local deal (who had and online parts site and the shipping option of: pick up @ dealer).

I live in New Hampshire, tow my ATV and Sled around. The vehicle is also driven by my wife and I.. she isn't as gentle on the brakes as I..

I went with the 42431-0E040 Rear rotors @ $62 each and I went with the 04466-AZ006-TM Cermanic OEM pads for $38 - All said and done $162!

Heck if I have to spend $162 and 2 hours of my time every 56,000 (every 4 years) then I am good :D

Reactions: becks
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.