Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got new brake pads and i was going to put the piston back but it wouldnt so me being stupid i pressed on the brake pedal and so the piston came out and now i couldnt put it back in, so i got a new caliper and now my uncle told me i have to bleed all the brakes and so i did

he told me that i would have to bleed all 4 brakes and so i did and have to have someone look and when i pump on the brake it has to be a steady stream like your taking a leak so i did that and now everything is in tack and ive been pumping and that is my problem and question. what is taking so long for my brake pedal to become hard ive been pumping for a while and my uncle said that it takes forever like really long cuase your break fluid system is completely empty and it has to pump that break fluid into all of your brakes.

so whats going on what should i do please help me id really apprieciate it. why is it taking so long for my brakes to work?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Are you trying to bleed the system yourself or is someone helping you? You need to have someone pump the pedal for you while you open the bleeder valve and let the air out. Have someone pump the pedal three times then tell the person to hold the brake pedal down. When he does, open the valve and let the fluid flow. Close the valve right before the fluid stops coming out. You'll have to open the valve about 5 times per corner. Start at the corner farthest away from the master cylinder(RR,LR,RF, then LF) make sure to keep the master cylinder res. full as to not suck in any more air. Also check your rear wheel brake drum master cylinders to see if they are leaking or not(assuming you have rear drum brakes)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was doing it with someone but i think i have to do this one alone is that possible? and what valve are you talking about..the one attached to the brake line? is that the bleeding part..cause i noticed this little metal thing sticking out next to it, its like the shape of a nipple. and how long does it take to bleed your brakes? please tell me what to do in number format from the point where you get your tires off. id really appriciate it a lot! thanks! :) so as im pumping i have to keep the brake flu res full? ahh i dont understand any of this! i need help :( im so stressed ;( my car has been in my garage for days now just cause i cant get that brake pedal to be hard and ive been pumping and pumping seems like the BFR isnt going down and no fluid is getting through the lines..:(

·
422 Posts
You have to use the bleeder, not the actual brake line. The bleeder is the little nipple on the caliper next to the brake line. At Oreilys autoparts I picked up a brake bleeding kit, which had some clear plastic hose and a little reservoir with a magnet on it. It was like $8 and worth it.

All you do is connect the plastic hose to the bleeder (nipple). Then you have your friend pump the brake 3-5 times and then hold the pedal down while you open the bleeder, watch the fluid go up the line (have the reservoir above the brake on the strut using the magnet). When the pedal bottoms out tighten the bleeder and do again until you don't see any air bubbles coming down the line from the bleeder.

Don't forget to check you master cylinder reservoir every few minutes.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/howtobleedbrakesright.htm

Where I got my info

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
bluerogue85 said:
i was doing it with someone but i think i have to do this one alone is that possible?
No.

and what valve are you talking about..the one attached to the brake line?
The bleeder screw on the caliper / drum.

1. Attach a hose (clear hose works best cos you can see the fluid in the hose) to the bleeder screw. Might also want to use a zip tie so the hose doesn't fall off.

2. Make sure the brake fluid reservoir is full. This is very important. If the fluid goes empty you'll have air in the system and have to start all over again. Keep an eye on the fluid level during the bleeding process.

3. Get a clear container and pour some brake fluid into it.

4. Place the end of the hose into the container. Make sure the end of it is in the brake fluid.

5. Have your buddy, dog, cat, neighboor, etc.. pump the brakes a few times and hold it.

6. Open up the bleeder screw. You'll see the fluid in the container bubble, this is caused by air.

7. Close the bleeder screw.

8. Continue with pumping the brakes and opening / closing the bleeder screw. You want to do this until you don't see anymore bubbles.

9. Do the same thing with the other 3 brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do i really need a hose to bleed the brakes? i thought just unscrew or whatever and then let it drip fall whatever in a pan or something? what tool can i use to unscrew that bleed nipple thing or that doesnt come off or somerhing?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
bluerogue85 said:
do i really need a hose to bleed the brakes?
Yes, unless you like brake fluid squirting in your face.

what tool can i use to unscrew that bleed nipple thing or that doesnt come off or somerhing?
Flare nut wrench or a open/closed end wrench if you don't have a flare nut wrench.

You don't unscrew the bleeder screw. You just loosen it up with the wrench so that the fluid flows out, then tighten it back down.

Check out the site below for some cool bleeder screws:

http://www.speedbleeder.com

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i think camrys use a 8mm so go get a 8mm wrench

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so do i have to do ne thing to the brake lines like unscrew those or whatever or just pay attention just to the bleeder, that nipple shaped thing? and so i loosen that on all four doing what pumping what waiting for what? number format please so i dont mess up my car cuae if i do no more car for me:( thast why i need good detail instructions please! :) thanks for all your help so far guys! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well.... :( i give up im sorry this is really pissing me off i dont get this whole bleed thing ive been working on my car for more than a week now just to get the brakes to freakin work... ive bled a lot nothing brake isnt hard i dont know if you just losen the bleeder take it out or take the brake line out but..:( im just going to have to take it to a mechanic no matter how hard i try how much i pray..nothing i dont know what else is wrong...:(

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
you don't lossen all 4 at the same time. you have someone at that vavle and you step on the brakes like 4 times. but the 4th time you hold the brakes. the person opens the vavle lets the pressure out. you should feel the pedal going down. then that person close the vavle and you keep doing that until only brake fluid comes out and not air. then you move on to the next wheel. i'd say open/close it 5 times each wheel should be more than safe at getting air out.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
bluerogue85 said:
ok so do i have to do ne thing to the brake lines like unscrew those or whatever or just pay attention just to the bleeder, that nipple shaped thing?
Leave the brake lines alone.

The only thing you should be messing with is the bleeder screw (the nipple shaped thing).

and so i loosen that on all four doing what pumping what waiting for what? number format please so i dont mess up my car cuae if i do no more car for me:( thast why i need good detail instructions please! :) thanks for all your help so far guys! :)
Theres a bleeder screw on each caliper / drum.

You don't loosen up all 4 at the same time. You bleed each brake individually.

Follow the instructions I gave you above or the instructions at the link that jackfrost1031 posted.

Bleeding brakes is not hard to do. My buddy and I installed a big brake kit (13 1/4" cross drilled rotors and Brembo 4 piston calipers) on his Camaro yesterday. Took about 10 mins to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
is bleeding the same as flushing? im planning to change my pads soon and i might want to put in new fluid also.. so i might need to flush it.. any other method to flush the fluid?

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
KoboChan said:
is bleeding the same as flushing? im planning to change my pads soon and i might want to put in new fluid also.. so i might need to flush it.. any other method to flush the fluid?
i've heard it both ways, but i'm not entirely sure if they're different.

the only thing i'm sure of is there is no such thing as flushing your brakes too much. just depends on how much you use the car. if you're doin highway driving, flush less.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
FLUSHING: The draining and refilling of all fluid in the system.

BLEEDING: The removal of air bubbles trapped in the fluid of the system.

Little bit different.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
KoboChan said:
1. Disconnect all (4) the brake lines from the calipers/drums and let the fluid drain out.

2. Reconnect the brake lines.

3. Fill brake fluid reservoir.

4. Bleed the brakes as usual.

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
thanks.. thats really helpful.. one more question.. how much brake fluid should i prepare for when doing a flush?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts