Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my previous cars have been 4 bangers with 100 HP and manual transmissions.

What I have noticed on the Avalon over the last year makes me unsure if something is wrong or it's just me.

Braking from highways speeds [60 mph] th pedal feels normal. The car begins to slow at what seems a normal pace but then I realize it's not slowing down enough and I have to brake heavily to stop on time.
My mechanic took a cursory look at the brakes and said all looks normal. I'm wondering if the fluid is contaminated and there is a small amount of air or something in the lines.

Ideas ?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No shame in horses. But never had a personal car do that. Old brake fluid, leak in system, or faulty ABS unit would be my guess. You can check to see if your vacuum line to the brake booster is in good condition as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 Avalon Limited
451 Posts
I had the same theary. Pads and rotors looked good with plenty of meat left. But I felt the braking was poor. I bought Akebono ASP (1222A) front pads for the Gen 4 and new OEM rotors for the front. Problem solved. The most important thing is bedding the brakes when new. It took me about 25 to 30 minutes, with the proper road conditions(no traffic) to get the brakes to bite just right. I don't think my dealer took the time to bed them correctly. When I brought my pre-owned?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,839 Posts
Weak brakes that fade under heavy braking are pretty normal for Toyota. :)
Get a set of good slotted rotors (I recommend EBC) and even with OEM pads you'd fell a huge difference. Spending $150-200 on rotors might seem expensive, but you wont regret it, I promise. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The brakes on any modern passenger car should not be fading during a single stop from any legal speed.

I'd start by having the mechanic drive it and see if they notice a problem. If not, have them ride with you and see if you can reproduce them problem with them sitting there.

I once had a customer who was getting ridiculously short brake pad life and I went for a test drive with them and found out they would rest their left foot on the brake pedal while they drove.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’d probably get it looked at because all I can say is that mine stops on a dime. Just yesterday they were severely tested when some idiot decided he was going to go right into my Kane on the highway without looking. Those brakes saved my life.

Maybe try a different brand of pads/rotors and get a brake fluid flush. Maybe even try a panic stop (when there’s no one behind/front/around) and see if it performs as it should.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Highly recommend getting highlander spec front brakes, which is the 12.9 inch rotor, and it doesn’t have to be slotted or drilled, just a regular rotor but not the cheapest ones either, at least with rust protection, then with the dual piston caliper, which helps a bunch, since we only have single piston caliper, and lastly the highlander spec brake pads, highly recommended power stop z23. Remember all highlander spec i did the year 2010 but most highlander spec is the same. I spent 360 on everything, i only did the front brakes though, which I bought online, rotors from oreillys, calipers and pads from autozone. And they brake amazing. They fit into my stock 18 inch wheels. And i did it all at home by myself, there is a video on yt that shows the steps, and easy way to lose less brake fluid, just by pinching on the brake line slightly, and remember when testing it, the brake pedal feels different when in park than when in drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts