·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
728 Posts
I didn't look at that particular website but drilled rotors have a tendancy to crack.

When they cryogenic freeze them and then drill them they aren't as likely to develop cracks around the drill holes

·
Registered
2009 Corolla Xrs
383 Posts

·
Ask your Mother
2009 Corolla XRS
2,034 Posts
Something tells me this is no ordinary braking system...
Are you kidding, that is as ordinary as they come;)

I think the Tercel had those in the front.

**AfterThought**

I found this while surfing today...
"Frankly, in the end slotted or drilled brake rotors is not needed for the average American driving their car on the street. Speed limit laws in most countries assures you never get anywhere near the edge of stock brake system performance for stopping power or brake fade, wet or dry conditions. It is only those who truly use their systems for AutoX, track days or the like that will want to carefully consider a properly engineer SYSTEM for their given vehicle, driving style, and track conditions.

BLING FACTOR ONLY: Get wherever (sane system) you want to look cool and brag to others, but PLEASE make sure you have the front/rear brake bias correct. Incorrect biasing can KILL you and/or others.

NOTE: there is A LOT of misinformation on the Internet concerning slotted or drilled rotors by inexperiences, uneducated, or skewed marketing people (just as inexperienced/uneducated/marketing people may provide reviews of audio gear). PLEASE talk to TRUE professional engineers who have vast knowledge and experience. BE HONEST WITH HOW YOUR BRAKE SYSTEM WILL BE USED!!! Also, one may choose great rotors and calipers, yet use basic pads/fluids for the street and change pads/fluids for track days.

Please avoid the BLING factor as your brake system is a balance and altering this can cause DEATH! THE LIFE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN.

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin"
http://www.myasylum.com/cars/messages/44.html

I thought it was a pretty decent article... the jist of it is... Buy brakes for your needs, but don't buy shitty knock off brand brake parts. If you're a track runner, then buy good brakes, if you're a commuter, then stock should suffice. Anyways I'd avoid buying parts from no-name companies.

Just my opinion

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,678 Posts
Formula 1 is all about efficiency at it's finest. All the same factors still apply, but the obvious advantage is durability and increased surface area contact between the pad and the rotor.

I made the mistake of getting slotted rotors at first, although it offered great initial bite and stopping power, I felt that they were more suited to track usage instead of being good on the street, where I drive most of the time. Long story short, they tore up my brake pads prematurely and once the rotors were warped from overly enthusiastic braking, no one could resurface them safely. They were insanely loud too. What a waste of almost $300.

Now I use cheap blank rotors and haven't been happier with the braking performance and noise since.

But hey, it's your money. Spend it however you want.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,678 Posts
Just keep your stock rotors for now and play around with different pad types and compounds.

Upgrade your brake lines to stainless steel versions and flush your brake system out and replace the fluid with a high-temperature synthetic like Motul or ATE.

If street driving is all you do, then this will be more than enough in terms of improving performance.

·
straight cash homie
22,854 Posts
Hey, its time to change my brakes and should I purchase it from the dealer or is there any aftermarket websites I can buy from that are good quality!!!
IMO, OEM Toyota pads have always worked well on the street...I'd prefer that over some aftermarket brands. But I guess you can be another guinea pig for the board.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GreenStuff for both Front and Rear?

Whats the P/N?
Just replacing the front pads would be sufficient, but I've put Greenstuff all around.

Greenstuff front pads (for XRS and non-XRS): DP21791
Greenstuff rear pads (for XRS only): DP21947

If you need to order DP21947, then you will need to order it from a UK seller as it is not available in North America @ the moment.

·
Registered
2009 Corolla XRS!
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find that the Redstuff do produce a lot of dust when compared to the Greenstuff.

The Green pads have great brake power even @ cold, and the Redstuff produces better braking result when it has been warmed up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.