Toyota Nation Forum banner

Brand new Tacoma, fast idle when first start

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rycam 
#1 ·
I picked up my 2004 Tacoma Xtracab with the 6cyl last Friday. I notice when I first start in the morning she idles at 1500 rpm. If I wait a few minutes it slows down. I should say when I am leaving for work, with little time to hang out and watch the idle, I have noticed it will drop 250 rpm in about 2 minutes. I usually have to get going so I have not sat there to wait for it to slow to 500-600rpm which is the idle when I start later in the day. It has been relatively cold (40's) in the morning. Is this some sort of choke mechanism?

Thanks

--Matt

#2 ·
I don't know what causes it, but it is normal, at least for me.... same 2004 V6. It idles around 1500 rpm, a little more on a cold morning, and a little less when it's warm out. I usually just let it run for at least a couple of seconds if I don't have much time, to get the oil movin and then go. I drive easy until the temp. reaches normal, then I'll drive how I normally do.

#4 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.