Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Pickup
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a new OEM Toyota Head Gasket. Upon first look, it looks/feels just like the rock gasket I got from engnbldr...that I have to replace again because I was foolish and....long story.

The only difference I notice is that it seems to have some type of glue/sealant on the front of the engine side of the gasket, the rock one did not. Upon further inspection, the seals around the cylinders on this one don't feel "metallic" and aren't shiny like the rock gasket - could be a psychological thing though. I hope this helps anyone wondering what the difference is. I hope this was worth the extra $$

Some will be repetitive....

The only "marking" on the piece

You can see the glue/adhesive here. Probably to seal the head/timing cover together

Another shot of the glue

Like I said, repetitive (flash, no flash).

If anyone wants any other pictures, etc - let me know asap. The head gasket is going ON the truck come Monday (it'll be all right, come Monday....I digress)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have had mixed luck with the Rock Gaskets. I would prefer the Toyota gasket. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1994 Pickup
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. I got the same feedback after reading and reading several threads and google searches about the head gasket. The consensus is 50% say go with Toyota and the other 50% say you'll probably be fine with the other. Probably doesn't cut it for me, the head gasket is a royal PAIN to replace.

I posted this and the pictures for people that just wanted to SEE what a OEM headgasket looked like. I will compare the two side-by-side Monday...if I get that far.

Like I said, the material feels slightly different. The top of the Toyota headgasket feels like it has some sticky stuff on it and the rings around the cylinder are made from different materials. That's just my initial uneducated feeling guess about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts