Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Hi.
1998 Camry
389 Posts
I don't get this Toyota "RED" or "green" stuff you guys mentioned.

I don't know much about Toyota Coolant. Could someone please enlighten me on this coolant color thing?

I need some coolant for my 98 cam and was just gonna go to autozone and just pick up some Prestone coolant. What's this Toyota Red and green stuff?

·
Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,615 Posts
mystickid said:
I don't get this Toyota "RED" or "green" stuff you guys mentioned.

I don't know much about Toyota Coolant. Could someone please enlighten me on this coolant color thing?

I need some coolant for my 98 cam and was just gonna go to autozone and just pick up some Prestone coolant. What's this Toyota Red and green stuff?
cost is about $12 for a toyota coolant. it's about 1 gallon or the same u get for the preston size

·
Iron Chef IV
730 Posts
Toyota has a red and pink coolant. The pink is suppose to be backwards compatible, but since they are not forcing me to use it, i will stick with the red. Do not miz brands. Esp something like Toyota Red and prestone. It will cause stuff to preceiptate out.

·
Registered
2002 4Runner
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
skewe said:
cost is about $12 for a toyota coolant. it's about 1 gallon or the same u get for the preston size
Toyota Coolant is $20/gal not premixed 50/50 After much research, I put the new prestone formula in that is good for all makes and all models. It looks like watered down antifreeze and kind of a yellow/green color. Get this though - the cooling system had GREEN in it from the Dealership......Yep, in Cali, they use the Green Coolant - called ShellZone is the brand and it is designed to handle higher temps. Since I live in Utah, and it is colder, the Toyota Dealership sells the Red Coolant. You can use the Green stuff, you just have to flush it more often as if you dont, it gets acidic and starts to eat gaskets. I plan on leaving the green in until I get money to buy the Red and Flush it out good. The thing with long life coolant is that you have to mix it EXACTLY 50/50 or it will become acidic and corrode the inside of the engine. This is the problem with DEX COOL as if you don't mix it correctly, it becomes acidic and eats gaskets (i.e. Head Gaskets). I asked a guy that has been doing coolants for 30 years and he told me what I have written. He also said that he hasn't seen any problems as long as you drain and flush the coolant every 2 years no matter what the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.