Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Camry LE
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to the manual, i need to "break in" my '06 for the first 1000 miles. i've put over 400mi so far and i'm following the instructions:

- no hard accelerations from stop
- no hard braking
- no driving at the same speed for long durations

my concern is that i'm not getting great gas mileage so far. from a full tank of gas to half (9.5gal), i get 220mi, at best. that's roughly 23-24MPG.

i try to cruise on freeways and streets as much as possible. i'm wondering if gas mileage will improve after the "break in" period. the estimates are 24/34MPG (city/fwy). i hope to increase the average close to 30MPG.

someone please tell me that it will only get better! :confused:

·
Registered
667 Posts
IMO - you already missed most of your opportunity to "break it in"

read here

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

If you buy into this like I do, you should run that engine like a bitch for a while, reving and deaccelerating like the web site says, and see what happens.

depending on your driving, you may or may not ever see the EPA numbers posted on the window sticker.

I have a 2005 I-4 SE Auto and I get about 22mpg in stop and go city traffic (absolutely NO highway on the tank, stop and go means I travel 9 miles in 30 minutes and I do it everyday)

On the highway, I have gotten as high as 32-33, and as low as 29-30. This is ALL highway, meaning I start the car, hit the highway (like RT 95 here on the east coast) and drive until the tank is empty, no stops.

If I drive 85-90mph, I get 29-30. If I drive 75 or so, I get 32-33. I would assume if I drive 60 I would get 34, but that isn't ever going to happen :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts