Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm nearing 2000kms on my 2021 corolla se and was wondering if I should do an early oil change?? Is anyone doing that or is that over kill and every 8000kms will be fine. Manual says 1yr or 16000kms but NO WAY I'm doing that schedule, NO WAY. Was planning every 8000kms including 1st one unless someone proves me otherwise.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
925 Posts
Uh oh here we go again 🍿

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh oh here we go again 🍿

Well that's gonna take me awhile to read. Thx, on to page 2

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you don't want to read it was an unsolved disagreement between no difference when you want to do it.

Someone eventually changed it at 8000kms or something and sent oil sample to get tested... 0% metal shavings from break In.

Your money your car your choice I personally follow dealer intervals for life with no issues ... several other will disagree with me.

Ps that was the main largest thread I could find, it was also brought up several times after with still the same argument and lack of solution.

Reactions: igzy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't want to read it was an unsolved disagreement between no difference when you want to do it.

Someone eventually changed it at 8000kms or something and sent oil sample to get tested... 0% metal shavings from break In.

Your money your car your choice I personally follow dealer intervals for life with no issues ... several other will disagree with me.

Ps that was the main largest thread I could find, it was also brought up several times after with still the same argument and lack of solution.
I checked out this guys channel and he's a wealth of knowledge

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Starting page 3 so yes I am gonna read it all. Thx for the link

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks again for the read. Ya it's all over the map on what people think and do when it comes to when they decide to do their own maintenance. I think my OCD will allow me to not do a break-in oil change and I'll just go by the severe maintenance schedule and change oil every 8000kms. Thx again

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Toyota Dealership Mastertech recommends first oil change at 1,000 miles:

The Eneos Oil Company supplies some of the break in oil for Toyota vehicles and at Tundrasolutions.com one of their technical reps said to wait until 1,200 miles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Toyota Dealership Mastertech recommends first oil change at 1,000 miles:

The Eneos Oil Company supplies some of the break in oil for Toyota vehicles and at Tundrasolutions.com one of their technical reps said to wait until 1,200 miles.
Been watching all his vids last couple days. He's awesome. I'm subbed

·
Registered
31 Posts
"Special Operating Conditions" call for 5000 miles. The Car Care Nut recommends 5k or 6 months for peace of mind and also changing your oil after the break in period with high quality synthetic oil. You should be able to change the Corolla with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or TGMO and a WIX, Denso, or Toyota filter for under $35 - so $70 a year. It's cheap insurance.

Ohh btw, 90% of people will fall under "Special Operating Conditions."

How much idling is too much idling? How much stop and go is too much stop and go? How many short trips are too many? Unless you run a Blackstone analysis on every OCI, I would air on the side of caution. Weather and driving conditions change and so will your oil life!

Any modern synthetic oil should last 5k and it's a nice number and so is 6 months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
"Special Operating Conditions" call for 5000 miles. The Car Care Nut recommends 5k or 6 months for piece of mind and also changing your oil after the break in period with high quality synthetic oil. You should be able to change the Corolla with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or TGMO and a WIX, Denso, or Toyota filter for under $35 - so $70 a year. It's cheap insurance.

Ohh btw, 90% of people will fall under "Special Operating Conditions."

How much idling is too much idling? How much stop and go is too much stop and go? How many short trips are too many? Unless you run a Blackstone analysis on every OCI, I would air on the side of caution. Weather and driving conditions change and so will your oil life!

Any modern synthetic oil should last 5k and it's a nice number and so is 6 months.
Ohh and guess what? You can run 5W-30 and your engine will be perfectly fine. In fact, it will provide better protection.

These engines are rated up to 15W-40 in summer conditions.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Toyota has not used a specific break in oil in decades going by UOA from factory fill changes. Given the extremely low rate of wear from Toyota engines even during break in compared to say a similar General Motors engine or Ford engine I would not worry about things too much.

I am not a fan of keeping any oil in a Toyota car or truck longer than 6 months regardless of miles. So do a reasonable oil change that you feel comfortable with. You do not to do the old school oil changes at 50 miles, 500 miles, 1500 miles 3000 miles than normal routine!

I would definitely though insist that only a fool or someone with an IQ bellow 73 and with ZERO hands on experience rebuilding engines or servicing them would consider a 12 month 16K km oil change as a serious, intelligent, well informed recommendation! Maybe if you are only going to lease it or want the engine worn out by the 5th year of ownership!

If you insist on running the factory recommended 0W16 change it every 6 months and maybe take up some mystic arcane esoteric religion that violates all known science and engineering with a substitute reality! Just like like when I first predicted Ford would have timing chain and timing component wear issues with 5W20 close to 20 year ago I was proven right!

Unless you live in the Artic Circle the thinnest oil any daily driver should use is 0W30 or 0W40 with my preference being for M1 0W40. If that is not good enough get a pan heater or block heater and plug in at night or use a heated garage! Want an oil that is additive heavy but can do the deed look at Redline 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 0W30, and 0W40. In Canada unless things have changed in the last 12 years Esso XD 0W30 was a fantastic product and was widely available in Canada.

My 2003 Camry is now 18 years old the last 12 years have been M1 0W40 nothing was cleaned those pictures were taken with in seconds of popping the valve cover off. I have about 180K miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
Toyota has not used a specific break in oil in decades going by UOA from factory fill changes. Given the extremely low rate of wear from Toyota engines even during break in compared to say a similar General Motors engine or Ford engine I would not worry about things too much.

I am not a fan of keeping any oil in a Toyota car or truck longer than 6 months regardless of miles. So do a reasonable oil change that you feel comfortable with. You do not to do the old school oil changes at 50 miles, 500 miles, 1500 miles 3000 miles than normal routine!

I would definitely though insist that only a fool or someone with an IQ bellow 73 and with ZERO hands on experience rebuilding engines or servicing them would consider a 12 month 16K km oil change as a serious, intelligent, well informed recommendation! Maybe if you are only going to lease it or want the engine worn out by the 5th year of ownership!

If you insist on running the factory recommended 0W16 change it every 6 months and maybe take up some mystic arcane esoteric religion that violates all known science and engineering with a substitute reality! Just like like when I first predicted Ford would have timing chain and timing component wear issues with 5W20 close to 20 year ago I was proven right!

Unless you live in the Artic Circle the thinnest oil any daily driver should use is 0W30 or 0W40 with my preference being for M1 0W40. If that is not good enough get a pan heater or block heater and plug in at night or use a heated garage! Want an oil that is additive heavy but can do the deed look at Redline 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 0W30, and 0W40. In Canada unless things have changed in the last 12 years Esso XD 0W30 was a fantastic product and was widely available in Canada.

My 2003 Camry is now 18 years old the last 12 years have been M1 0W40 nothing was cleaned those pictures were taken with in seconds of popping the valve cover off. I have about 180K miles on it.
Ouch... speaking of IQ I'm sure the engineers at Toyota and all the money spent on R&D as well as a corporation building a name on reliability is ready to toss it all away by suggesting sub par service intervals and oil spec lol.

As long as you follow recommended service intervals or change oil more frequently you should not have any issues. Just don't go longer than recommended intervals.

Reactions: igzy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ouch... speaking of IQ I'm sure the engineers at Toyota and all the money spent on R&D as well as a corporation building a name on reliability is ready to toss it all away by suggesting sub par service intervals and oil spec lol.

As long as you follow recommended service intervals or change oil more frequently you should not have any issues. Just don't go longer than recommended intervals.
So 0W-16 provides sufficient wear protection as tested, but oil with a higher HTHS (e.g. 5W-30) will provide better wear protection, but on average at the cost of 1 to 3% reduction in fuel economy.

Oil weights in the US are driven by CAFE standards and the legal requirements for language in your owner's manual mandated by the EPA. Were they tested? Yes, but there are oils that provide better protection and will work just fine.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
102 Posts
On my engine builds and new cars, I do the first oil change at 100 miles. Whether you do it at 100 or 5k miles you'll have fine metallic particles in the oil regardless. The bigger question is what if there were bigger chunks of metal particles accumulating if you were to run it to 5k vice 100 miles.

·
Registered
2020 Corolla SE CVT, 2020 RAV4 LE AWD
32 Posts
I use my Corolla as a commuter. I don't put extra load on it (90% I drive alone and I am small guy 59 kgs or 130 lbs) and very rarely I saw 4000 rpm (normally it's between 2000÷3000 rpm when I accelerate)... so I keep running with Idemitsu 0w-16/0w-20 or Liqui Moly 0w-16 oil. I changed oil every 8000 kms (5000 miles) or 6 months.
Speaking about weather conditions - I live in Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts