Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
193 Posts
Changed out my initial oil at 2000kms. Also been doing 6 months oil change instead of 12 months and due to covid, annual driven is 8000kms with filter replacement and drain from bottom on 12th month and oil extraction from top without filter change on 6th month.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would definitely though insist that only a fool or someone with an IQ bellow 73 and with ZERO hands on experience rebuilding engines or servicing them would consider a 12 month 16K km oil change as a serious, intelligent, well informed recommendation! Maybe if you are only going to lease it or want the engine worn out by the 5th year of ownership!

If you insist on running the factory recommended 0W16 change it every 6 months and maybe take up some mystic arcane esoteric religion that violates all known science and engineering with a substitute reality! Just like like when I first predicted Ford would have timing chain and timing component wear issues with 5W20 close to 20 year ago I was proven right!

Unless you live in the Artic Circle the thinnest oil any daily driver should use is 0W30 or 0W40 with my preference being for M1 0W40. If that is not good enough get a pan heater or block heater and plug in at night or use a heated garage! Want an oil that is additive heavy but can do the deed look at Redline 0W20, 5W20, 5W30 0W30, and 0W40. In Canada unless things have changed in the last 12 years Esso XD 0W30 was a fantastic product and was widely available in Canada.
Oh you mean the same Toyota engineers that let engines be built and sold to customers from 2002 to 2006 2AZFE with issues of head bolt's pulling free from the block!

Maybe you mean those Toyota engineers that produced a revised 2AZFE in 2007 onward that had excessive oil consumption because they could not design piston rings and pistons with adequate oil return and adequate oil scraping properties?

You must mean those same engineers that produced the Toyota SLUDGE fiasco in the V6 especially! I think the class action case was settled in 2007 and covered I4 and V6's 1997-2002 I think?

Lets not forget about the Toyota engineers that seemed to have issues with "sudden acceleration" maybe you recall the recall my 2007 was affected.

Lets not forget about those same engineers that all but ruined Tacoma's fantastic reputation with excessive frame rusting out issues that never affected previous makes and models to that degree!

So my track record is far far better than Toyota engineers of late. Anyone ever been ripped off by someone that is not selling them anyone on this site? On the other hand how many on this site have been done wrong or dirty by a Toyota Dealership or Toyota Motor Corporation????

I have covered this many many times before. You must have hths cP minimum of 2.6 to avoid extreme wear on engine parts. Oil shears in use with time so if 2.6 is the minimum you need to start higher than that to guarantee low wear. 5W30's especialy synthetics tend to start at an hths cP of 2.9 which means that when idiots do stupid things to their cars you have some cushion before the oil alone has degraded to the point that just idling the engine can cause damage. Once you get bellow 2.6 in 2.3cP you start to have insane rates of wear no matter if you are a Toyota engineer or Tyco or Hasbro engineer. Machines do not care about feeling just math they do not care about magic or religion either.

Rollers and low tension rings can only do so much. The engine used decades ago to establish an hths of 3.3-3.5 as optimal was a rollerrized Buick 3.8L V6.

For those that do not read well here is a very crude and simple chart. Notice how the rate of wear especialy piston rings skyrockets at and hths of 2.3!! Lock how low wear is with an hths of 3.5. Each step down from 3.5 the rate of wear on all the parts climbs little by little. Once you get to 2.9 wear on all parts really starts to go up but especially piston rings. Look at that big purple line. That line tells you how much fuel you can save with lower hths as compared to a 15W40 oil in %. Notice were it peaks! Notice that an hths of 2.3 were the rate of wear and friction is highest does not save you anymore fuel than running a thicker oil with an hths of 3.3 they are even but wear rates sure arn't even.

So because all car companies that sell cars in the USA get taxed partially the average fuel economy of the fleet they sell they want to save fuel any way they can even if it cost their customers in the long run! They have blended an oil that will give them the best increase in fuel economy at the cost of increased wear to the engine and transmission of the customer. These are absolute facts these are not opinions of mine but well entrenched tribological automotive machine engineering facts! The really bad part is that with the addition of a lot of moly, boron, antimony the shift in the wear pattern of engines will catch even those that do UOA off guard because they will think they are seeing the same wear pattern they have always seen! It is not just total wear meatal in a UOA but where those wear metals are coming from.

The moly load up is Toyota attempt at slowing down ring wear and the boron is an attempt to slow down the timing chain wear. The roller rockers are an attempt to reduce friction, drag and wear in the valve train so it survives with 0W16 oil long enough to get out of warranty!
I don't understand why you felt the need to insult a whole corporation and engineers who created OCI standards.

My RAV4 is at 200K miles atm and I have been following the recommended 10K OCI and (touch wood) have zero engine issues.

Esso XD-3 is no longer available here, it has been replaced by Delvac 1. I used XD 0W40 in my Maxima which was spec'ed for 5W30, so 0W40 wasn't out of range, I used 10K OCI as well. Traded the car in at 240K also with zero engine issues...

0W40 oil is likely too thick to flow quickly enough in 2.0L engine, especially on cold starts in winter. Using thicker oil than designed in will likely cause excessive components wear. 2.0L engine was designed specifically to use a lower viscosity oil 0W16 up to W20. Going with thicker oil, engine will waste energy pumping the thicker motor oil = reduced fuel economy. Since thicker oils don’t transfer heat as well as thinner oils, operating temperatures will increase, too, possibly leading to oil's accelerated chemical break down and (speaking of) sludge...

Lastly, it would appear that you are well versed in engine design, fluid and thermal dynamics. With that, I am sure that are aware of the correlation of engine tolerances to oil viscosity, and that by telling folks here to use a much thicker oil like W40 instead of W16 will most likely ruin their engines in the long run?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't understand why you felt the need to insult a whole corporation and engineers who created OCI standards.

My RAV4 is at 200K miles atm and I have been following the recommended 10K OCI and (touch wood) have zero engine issues.

Esso XD-3 is no longer available here, it has been replaced by Delvac 1. I used XD 0W40 in my Maxima which was spec'ed for 5W30, so 0W40 wasn't out of range, I used 10K OCI as well. Traded the car in at 240K also with zero engine issues...

0W40 oil is likely too thick to flow quickly enough in 2.0L engine, especially on cold starts in winter. Using thicker oil than designed in will likely cause excessive components wear. 2.0L engine was designed specifically to use a lower viscosity oil 0W16 up to W20. Going with thicker oil, engine will waste energy pumping the thicker motor oil = reduced fuel economy. Since thicker oils don’t transfer heat as well as thinner oils, operating temperatures will increase, too, possibly leading to oil's accelerated chemical break down and (speaking of) sludge...

Lastly, it would appear that you are well versed in engine design, fluid and thermal dynamics. With that, I am sure that are aware of the correlation of engine tolerances to oil viscosity, and that by telling folks here to use a much thicker oil like W40 instead of W16 will most likely ruin their engines in the long run?
Yup. Is my thoughts.... Mmmm Mmm Mmm... tight tolerances and dry starts... what could happen????

And yeah, new vehicle tolerances are quite tight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yup. Is my thoughts.... Mmmm Mmm Mmm... tight tolerances and dry starts... what could happen????

And yeah, new vehicle tolerances are quite tight.
0 is the viscosity at cold temperatures 40 is the viscosity at operating temperatures. 0W20,0W30, or 0W40 will have very, very similar viscosity during a cold start.

The SAME engine has been rated for 10W30 down to 0º F in the Russian owner's manual and other regions of the world. 0W40 won't damage anything.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
925 Posts

I've been using manufacturers recommended oil change intervals and grade my whole life with zero issues too.

I suppose you can just do what you feel free and if some premature oil pump or engine internal issues should occur, just tell the dealer 1975Toyota's rant and I'm sure they will fulfill your warranty needs.

Reactions: igzy

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
Well I only just got my corolla a couple months ago and joined recently, but thx for the welcome
Sorry my bad!

Welcome to Toyota Nation! Good to know you considered us over the others. 👍

The members are helpful and provide many POV's. Do you have the 1.8 liter or the 2.0? Just curious.

Some info Modifications Available for the 12th gen Corolla

More

More

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to Toyota Nation! Good to know you considered us over the others.
Wait there were other choices? ..🤔 lol

Reactions: LSV

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
Wait there were other choices? ..🤔 lol
🤣

I dunno 🤔. Either way, it's the only one I've been a member of.

Reactions: L3G1T

·
Registered
768 Posts
0 is the viscosity at cold temperatures 40 is the viscosity at operating temperatures. 0W20,0W30, or 0W40 will have very, very similar viscosity during a cold start.

The SAME engine has been rated for 10W30 down to 0º F in the Russian owner's manual and other regions of the world. 0W40 won't damage anything.
Are you sure about that?

This engine is in Lexus UX200 in Russia and its OM states on pg. 580-581 (yes, I can read Russian): 0W16, and, like for NA region, if 0W16 is not available then you can use 0W20 but the following oil change should be back to 0W16. Corolla sold there has 1.6L engine...

I am happy for you that you feel confident with W40, and, of course, you can put whatever you want into your engine. Challenging standards and making up your own is awesome, and so is understanding how these standards are developed in the first place...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Let's all have a race everyone do what they want and last car standing is the new benchmark lol

·
Registered
2020 Corolla SE CVT, 2020 RAV4 LE AWD
32 Posts

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,828 Posts
As stated in your owner's manual: The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristics of the oil when the oil is at a high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Toyota Australia
2019 Corolla Hatchback Owner's Manual

Engine oil selection

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade:

0W-16
: API grade SN “Resource-Conserving” multigrade engine oil

0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30: API grade SL “Energy-Conserving”, SM “Energy-Conserving” or SN “Resource-Conserving”; or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

15W-40: API grade SL, SM or SN multigrade engine oil.

Recommended viscosity (SAE)

Temperature range anticipated before next oil change

If you use SAE 10W-30 or a higher viscosity engine oil in extremely low temperatures, the engine may become difficult to start, so SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil is recommended.

Service Information & Repair Manuals

·
Registered
31 Posts
As stated in your owner's manual: The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristics of the oil when the oil is at a high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Toyota Australia
2019 Corolla Hatchback Owner's Manual

Engine oil selection

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade:

0W-16
: API grade SN “Resource-Conserving” multigrade engine oil

0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30: API grade SL “Energy-Conserving”, SM “Energy-Conserving” or SN “Resource-Conserving”; or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

15W-40: API grade SL, SM or SN multigrade engine oil.

Recommended viscosity (SAE)

Temperature range anticipated before next oil change

If you use SAE 10W-30 or a higher viscosity engine oil in extremely low temperatures, the engine may become difficult to start, so SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil is recommended.

Service Information & Repair Manuals
Find it mind blowing that people STILL think that using a thicker oil is going to damage their engine. Let me say it again, in the US, only a single grade of oil can be listed on the chart because the manufacturer's are legally required to do this.

Here's the letter from the EPA.

Attachments

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,828 Posts
Ultimately, the absolute best protection can be had with the best 5W-30 (0W-30 / 0W-40) synthetic oils available, closely followed by 0W-20.

The “WEAR PROTECTION RANKING LIST” itself, begins here:

1. 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic”
(abbreviated QSFS), dexos 1 Gen 2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 152,674 psi

And that psi value sets a WHOPPING NEW ALL-TIME RECORD for motor oils that I have put through my Engineering Torture Test on motor oil. It was tested in Spring 2021.
This new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil replaces the previous 5W30 Quaker State “Ultimate Durability” (abbreviated QSUD) synthetic.

The psi value of this new oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the SPECTACULAR Wear Protection Category. However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, most hotter and thinner oils typically experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, this oil produced an extremely impressive 148,133 psi, which was only a small 3% drop in capability. And that value put this much hotter and thinner oil in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 290*F.

This new oil was purchased at Walmart. And its truly amazing performance is further proof that Walmart is selling legitimate motor oil, even though their prices are extremely low compared to typical Auto Parts Stores.

Many of us who have been devoted users of the previous Quaker State “Ultimate Durability” motor oil, were concerned that Quaker State’s Corporate bean counters might get their hands on this new Quaker State “Full Synthetic” oil, and cut costs that would ruin the oil. Fortunately, as it turned out, that did not happen. And in fact, now this latest new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil, is BY FAR, the BEST PERFORMING motor oil that I have ever tested. This is absolute proof that Quaker State REALLY knows how to formulate motor oil.

This new “Full Synthetic” motor oil has set the bar so high, that it is the oil I will be using in my own vehicles from stock to High Performance, from now on. And it is the motor oil that I will recommend to my Blog readers for most water cooled, gasoline powered engines, that can use 5W30. This is especially THE “go to” motor oil for traditional flat tappet engines to provide the utmost in protection against wiped cam lobes.

Never say never, but it is hard to imagine another motor oil ever producing numbers this amazing.

Here is a back to back comparison of the new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” and the old 5W30 Quaker State “Ultimate Durability”.

NOTE: The Higher the psi value, the Better the wear protection capability. And the Higher the onset of thermal breakdown value, the Higher the oil temperature can reach before the oil begins to deteriorate due to heat.

QSFS at 230*F = 152,674 psi
QSFS at 275*F = 148,133 psi
QSFS onset of thermal breakdown = 290*F

QSUD at 230*F = 133,125 psi
QSUD at 275*F = 115,764 psi
QSUD onset of thermal breakdown = 275*F

The only possible concern about this amazing new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil, is that it might be “too good” for use in wet clutch motorcycles. Because of the potential for possible clutch slipping. So, testing will be required to determine that.
2. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic, has no certification labels, but claims it can be used in applications that require GM dexos1-Gen2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 141,851 psi
This oil was tested in Spring 2021.

The psi value of this new oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category. However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, most hotter and thinner oils typically experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. At that elevated temperature, this oil produced a very impressive 132,317 psi, which was a 6.7% drop in capability. And that value put this much hotter and thinner oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was an extremely impressive 305*F.

5. 0W30 Ravenol VSW, USVO (Ultra Strong Viscosity Oil), synthetic = 135,395 psi
This low friction motor oil has an ACEA C3 certification, and is for passenger car gasoline or diesel engines with or without turbocharging or direct injection. This very impressive motor oil is made in Germany, and was tested in early 2021.

The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category. And I also went on to test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil had only a small 4% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced an impressive 129,754 psi, which put this much hotter and thinner oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was a somewhat disappointing 265*F. NOTE: Motor oils do NOT stop working when they exceed the onset of thermal breakdown point. They just begin to slowly deteriorate.
6. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. And this is further proof that you do NOT need heavy thick viscosity to provide such impressive wear protection.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

14. 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN, synthetic = 127,221 psi
This new “FS” version was tested in Summer 2016.

15. 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic, GM dexos1-Gen2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, made from natural gas, NOT crude oil = 125,755 psi

16. 5W30 Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic, GM dexos1-Gen2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 125,279 psi

18. 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (originally gold, now green bottle) = 124,393 psi
This oil was tested in Spring 2016.

64. 0W20 Toyota Motor Oil, API SN, synthetic = 101,460 psi
This oil was tested Spring 2016.

144. 0W16 Toyota motor oil, synthetic, API SN = 84,295 psi
This oil was tested Spring 2019.

540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths (wordpress.com)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Ultimately, the absolute best protection can be had with the best 5W-30 synthetic oils available, closely followed by 0W-20.

The “WEAR PROTECTION RANKING LIST” itself, begins here:

1. 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” (abbreviated QSFS), dexos 1 Gen 2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 152,674 psi

And that psi value sets a WHOPPING NEW ALL-TIME RECORD for motor oils that I have put through my Engineering Torture Test on motor oil. It was tested in Spring 2021.
This new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil replaces the previous 5W30 Quaker State “Ultimate Durability” (abbreviated QSUD) synthetic.

The psi value of this new oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the SPECTACULAR Wear Protection Category. However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, most hotter and thinner oils typically experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, this oil produced an extremely impressive 148,133 psi, which was only a small 3% drop in capability. And that value put this much hotter and thinner oil in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 290*F.

This new oil was purchased at Walmart. And its truly amazing performance is further proof that Walmart is selling legitimate motor oil, even though their prices are extremely low compared to typical Auto Parts Stores.

Many of us who have been devoted users of the previous Quaker State “Ultimate Durability” motor oil, were concerned that Quaker State’s Corporate bean counters might get their hands on this new Quaker State “Full Synthetic” oil, and cut costs that would ruin the oil. Fortunately, as it turned out, that did not happen. And in fact, now this latest new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil, is BY FAR, the BEST PERFORMING motor oil that I have ever tested. This is absolute proof that Quaker State REALLY knows how to formulate motor oil.

This new “Full Synthetic” motor oil has set the bar so high, that it is the oil I will be using in my own vehicles from stock to High Performance, from now on. And it is the motor oil that I will recommend to my Blog readers for most water cooled, gasoline powered engines, that can use 5W30. This is especially THE “go to” motor oil for traditional flat tappet engines to provide the utmost in protection against wiped cam lobes.

Never say never, but it is hard to imagine another motor oil ever producing numbers this amazing.

Here is a back to back comparison of the new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” and the old 5W30 Quaker State “Ultimate Durability”.

NOTE: The Higher the psi value, the Better the wear protection capability. And the Higher the onset of thermal breakdown value, the Higher the oil temperature can reach before the oil begins to deteriorate due to heat.

QSFS at 230*F = 152,674 psi
QSFS at 275*F = 148,133 psi
QSFS onset of thermal breakdown = 290*F

QSUD at 230*F = 133,125 psi
QSUD at 275*F = 115,764 psi
QSUD onset of thermal breakdown = 275*F

The only possible concern about this amazing new 5W30 Quaker State “Full Synthetic” motor oil, is that it might be “too good” for use in wet clutch motorcycles. Because of the potential for possible clutch slipping. So, testing will be required to determine that.
2. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic, has no certification labels, but claims it can be used in applications that require GM dexos1-Gen2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 141,851 psi

The psi value of this new oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category. However, I went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, most hotter and thinner oils typically experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. At that elevated temperature, this oil produced a very impressive 132,317 psi, which was a 6.7% drop in capability. And that value put this much hotter and thinner oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was an extremely impressive 305*F.

5. 0W30 Ravenol VSW, USVO (Ultra Strong Viscosity Oil), synthetic = 135,395 psi
This low friction motor oil has an ACEA C3 certification, and is for passenger car gasoline or diesel engines with or without turbocharging or direct injection. This very impressive motor oil is made in Germany, and was tested in early 2021.

The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the AMAZING Wear Protection Category. And I also went on to test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil had only a small 4% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced an impressive 129,754 psi, which put this much hotter and thinner oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was a somewhat disappointing 265*F. NOTE: Motor oils do NOT stop working when they exceed the onset of thermal breakdown point. They just begin to slowly deteriorate.
6. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. And this is further proof that you do NOT need heavy thick viscosity to provide such impressive wear protection.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

14. 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SN, synthetic = 127,221 psi
This new “FS” version was tested in Summer 2016.

15. 5W30 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic, GM dexos1-Gen2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, made from natural gas, NOT crude oil = 125,755 psi

16. 5W30 Mobil 1 Advanced Full Synthetic, GM dexos1-Gen2, ILSAC GF-6A, API SP = 125,279 psi

18. 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (originally gold, now green bottle) = 124,393 psi
This oil was tested in Spring 2016.

64. 0W20 Toyota Motor Oil, API SN, synthetic = 101,460 psi
This oil was tested Spring 2016.

144. 0W16 Toyota motor oil, synthetic, API SN = 84,295 psi
This oil was tested Spring 2019.

540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths (wordpress.com)
So the most reliable automaker in the world, with cars that run for a very, very long time, use the 2 worst performing oils based on these numbers??

·
Registered
925 Posts
thicker oils don't transfer heat as well as thinner oils, operating temperatures will increase

thicker oils will increase oil pressure, but will reduce engine horsepower

Using oil that is thicker than recommended may lead to a decrease in fuel economy, and higher load on your engine

it will not be able to properly lubricate the components of the engine causing excess resistance when you start the car

Your engine has to work harder to move internal parts with thicker oil in the crankcase, sapping energy before you ever have a chance to use it

41 - 60 of 114 Posts