Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Corolla SE CVT, 2020 RAV4 LE AWD
32 Posts
Find it mind blowing that people STILL think that using a thicker oil is going to damage their engine.
I don't think that thicker oil is going to damage engine, I think why should I use any other oil than 0W-16 or 0W-20
And I think what is a definition of high speed or extreme load? Give me numbers please.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,828 Posts
So the most reliable automaker in the world, with cars that run for a very, very long time, use the 2 worst performing oils based on these numbers??
Toyota oils are relatively good, and better than many. They're quite protective enough for their application.

I always use 0W-20, be it from Quaker State (SOPUS), Pennzoil (SOPUS), MotoMaster (SOPUS), Castrol, Mobil 1...

540 RAT - Tech Facts, NOT Myths (wordpress.com)

The Wear Protection reference categories are:

* Over 150,000 psi = SPECTACULAR wear protection

* 135,000 psi to 150,000 psi = AMAZING wear protection

* 120,000 psi to 135,000 psi = FANTASTIC wear protection

* 105,000 to 120,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

* 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

* 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

* 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODERATE wear protection

* 50,000 to 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE LOW wear protection

* Below 50,000 psi = CAUTION – EXTREMELY LOW wear protection

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
925 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
And I think what is a definition of high speed or extreme load? Give me numbers please.
The number is 73, just ask Sheldon. :p
Over the years, I have participated in different car related forums. What oil to use is always a hot topic. There usually are lots of creditable support data for the arguments. While it is good to share the information and learn new knowledge, I have not seen a definitive conclusion on what oil is best for our cars, doesn't matter which car. All I do is to pick the theory that is the most convincing to me and go with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The number is 73, just ask Sheldon. :p
Over the years, I have participated in different car related forums. What oil to use is always a hot topic. There usually are lots of creditable support data for the arguments. While it is good to share the information and learn new knowledge, I have not seen a definitive conclusion on what oil is best for our cars, doesn't matter which car. All I do is to pick the theory that is the most convincing to me and go with it.
Not only what oil to use but when to change it. All over the map really. One thing im convinced on is oil is cheap, engines aren't, and I don't want to have an engine that develops an oil consumption issue down the road like I hear about from other Toyota owners. I'll be confident now with 0w16 or 0w20 as long as I change it ever 8000kms which I will be abiding by for sure.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Not only what oil to use but when to change it. All over the map really. One thing im convinced on is oil is cheap, engines aren't, and I don't want to have an engine that develops an oil consumption issue down the road like I hear about from other Toyota owners. I'll be confident now with 0w16 or 0w20 as long as I change it ever 8000kms which I will be abiding by for sure.
Oil consumption is no way a Toyota thing

Read into any high revving Honda engine, all my Hondas drank oil

If you really want an inspiring read, check car and drivers long term update on the Shelby gt350... brand new car used 40 yes FORTY liters of oil in 40,000 miles/ ONE year driving ( not including oil changes - just extra top up oil in between)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Oil consumption is no way a Toyota thing

Read into any high revving Honda engine, all my Hondas drank oil

If you really want an inspiring read, check car and drivers long term update on the Shelby gt350... brand new car used 40 yes FORTY liters of oil in 40,000 miles/ ONE year driving ( not including oil changes - just extra top up oil in between)
Omg. Drove an 04 focus with 2.0 zetec motor to 260,000kms using regular Ford 5w20. Changed every 5000kms till 100,000kms and then every 8000kms till I got rid of it. That thing never burned a drop. Oil level stay at the full all the time. Couldn't believe it, just regular non synthetic 5w20

·
Registered
925 Posts
Omg. Drove an 04 focus with 2.0 zetec motor to 260,000kms using regular Ford 5w20. Changed every 5000kms till 100,000kms and then every 8000kms till I got rid of it. That thing never burned a drop. Oil level stay at the full all the time. Couldn't believe it, just regular non synthetic 5w20
Lol I had an Acura with a k24 which was known for excessive oil consumption, never beat on car and it never used a drop.

My k20 Civic required a quart in between oil changes which seemed pretty normal on the forums (8,800 rpm redline daily would do that lol)

Reactions: igzy

·
Registered
768 Posts
Find it mind blowing that people STILL think that using a thicker oil is going to damage their engine. Let me say it again, in the US, only a single grade of oil can be listed on the chart because the manufacturer's are legally required to do this.

Here's the letter from the EPA.
Engine and oil design have come a long way since the times when there were excessive piston slap, clearances and tolerances, and when using a thicker oil was actually a good thing...
I remember using an oil thickener on my 80s Chevy that came from STP and it was dubbed Stop That Pounding :p

You can find some good info here at Amsoil on this:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Engine and oil design have come a long way since the times when there were excessive piston slap, clearances and tolerances, and when using a thicker oil was actually a good thing...
I remember using an oil thickener on my 80s Chevy that came from STP and it was dubbed Stop That Pounding :p

You can find some good info here at Amsoil on this:
But the higher viscosities aren't wrong per se. The manufacturer suggests a preferred oil, but in the same breath states that you can use different viscosities as well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
thicker oils don't transfer heat as well as thinner oils, operating temperatures will increase

thicker oils will increase oil pressure, but will reduce engine horsepower

Using oil that is thicker than recommended may lead to a decrease in fuel economy, and higher load on your engine

it will not be able to properly lubricate the components of the engine causing excess resistance when you start the car

Your engine has to work harder to move internal parts with thicker oil in the crankcase, sapping energy before you ever have a chance to use it

Reactions: igzy

·
Registered
768 Posts
But the higher viscosities aren't wrong per se. The manufacturer suggests a preferred oil, but in the same breath states that you can use different viscosities as well.
In this scenario, oil for cars is like [insert your own poison here] for us humans: there's a recommended stuff to use, and then there's stuff you can consume that isn't really good for you in the long run. It's like taking a lactose-intolerant date to Dairy Queen ;)

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,828 Posts
M20A-FKS engine and lubricating system is the same in Australia... 0W-16 is for enhanced fuel economy to meet CAFE standards. 0W-20 is preferable for better protection under severe service.

As stated in your USA / Canada owner's manual: The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristics of the oil when the oil is at a high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Recommended viscosity (SAE)

Temperature range anticipated before next oil change

Australia Toyota
2019 Corolla Hatchback Owner's Manual

Engine oil selection

“Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade:

0W-16
: API grade SN “Resource-Conserving” multigrade engine oil

0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30: API grade SL “Energy-Conserving”, SM “Energy-Conserving” or SN “Resource-Conserving”; or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

15W-40: API grade SL, SM or SN multigrade engine oil.

If you use SAE 10W-30 or a higher viscosity engine oil in extremely low temperatures, the engine may become difficult to start, so SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil is recommended.

Service Information & Repair Manuals

·
Registered
31 Posts
M20A-FKS engine and lubricating system is the same in Australia... 0W-16 is for enhanced fuel economy to meet CAFE standards. 0W-20 is preferable for better protection under severe service.

As stated in your USA / Canada owner's manual: The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristics of the oil when the oil is at a high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

AKA you can use whatever oil you want as long as you are in the temperature range and everything is going to function exactly like it should.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
AKA you can use whatever oil you want as long as you are in the temperature range and everything is going to function exactly like it should.
After watching the car care nut video I'm not all that sure about that with the new oil pump design. I posted it start at about 6:25 and come back with what you think

·
Registered
31 Posts
After watching the car care nut video I'm not all that sure about that with the new oil pump design. I posted it start at about 6:25 and come back with what you think
Yes, he is a master tech, but why the hell would Toyota put any other oil in their manual besides 0W-16 in other countries if it would cause catastrophic failure or the lubrication system to not function properly? They would 100% put a disclaimer on their owner's manual - "This engine requires 0W-16 or there is a risk of severe damage and/or engine failure."

It's the same engine!

61 - 80 of 114 Posts