Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey TN!
So I just got my 2013 Camry SE V6 last night with only 69 miles on it. Now when I asked the dealer about breaking in the engine he said that it doesn't need to break in. Now I've always known that cars need at LEAST 500 miles to break in the engine. Is what he said true?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,953 Posts
do not drive like grandma. every 7-10 miles make few quick spurs and rev the engine to 4500-5k RPM, but don't try to red line it or spin your tires. :)
personal advise: change your oil after first 1000-1500 miles. dealer wont do it so do it yourself or find some reputable place.
also some say you can do 10 sets of 0-65-70MPH accelerations with increasing intensity and drive normally after that.

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,837 Posts
^ dealer will do it if you request them. Did mine around 1500 miles too. They said they recommend not to, and I said I didn't want to come back while I'm there for some other fix, and it's 1st oil change so they were willing to do it.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,953 Posts
OK thanks! Just out of pure curiosity, why change the Lol after 1000-1500 miles?
there is pretty high possibility that you might find some metal shredding and particles in your filter. change your oil an filter just to get them out of your engine. 1K oil change is pretty easy and cheap insurance and piece of mind.

·
Go Bolts!
1,144 Posts
there is pretty high possibility that you might find some metal shredding and particles in your filter. change your oil an filter just to get them out of your engine. 1K oil change is pretty easy and cheap insurance and piece of mind.
David - is that still true today? I remember seeing an article recently that said with today's technology the machining of auto engine parts is more true and that the old 1K mile oil change rule is no longer applicable.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Yea the only break in is what the manual says, but I know people that come up to a dealer by me from Florida to buy new cars and then drive them straight back to Florida. The cars are always fine. And also, if you have a daily that consists of 15 mins of highway driving, who cares, just drive the car normally. No need to worry about jacking the rpms up during that ride during the first thousand miles. It doesn't matter about that, you have to drive your commute, it is what it is. And also several members on here have taken their new cars on road trips w/ less than a thousand miles. Just drive normally- I'd be more worries about bedding my brakes in than the motor break in lol.

And bolt- yea your 100% right. Thats why toyota doesnt have it in their manual too. I have also read that manufacturing has much tighter tolerances now, so the first oil change at 1k isn't needed anymore. But some members here have reported some tiny oil shavings when they changed their oil and filter, but the 1k oil change is more of a peace of mind type of thing. I didn't do my first oil change at 1k, my first one will be at 12 months or 10k lol. I don't worry about breaking the motor in either, it will break itself in by just driving in my city so I just drove my commute normally.

Reactions: BoltsFan

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,953 Posts
David - is that still true today? I remember seeing an article recently that said with today's technology the machining of auto engine parts is more true and that the old 1K mile oil change rule is no longer applicable.
not sure if that is still true, but I found few particles (not sure what was it, they didn't look metal to me) and some gooey substance on the bottom of the filter housing.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I generally do a 3000 mile oil change the first time.

Found a crap ton of metal shavings in the Toyota's filter at its first oil change...

Try not to rev the motor past 5000 or floor the car for the first ~1000 miles, but do vary engine speeds within that range often and get on the gas hard. Don't "cruise" on the highway at 65 all-day either.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hey TN!
So I just got my 2013 Camry SE V6 last night with only 69 miles on it. Now when I asked the dealer about breaking in the engine he said that it doesn't need to break in. Now I've always known that cars need at LEAST 500 miles to break in the engine. Is what he said true?
The only part of your engine that needs a break in are the rings. Glazing can form in the cylinders if the rings are not seated early and result in excessive oil consumption and loss of compression. However that said your dealer is correct in that tolerances in the new Toyota engines are so closely controlled that very little break in is required.

Ideally what you want to do at about 100 miles is 10 full throttle acceleration runs from 20 mph to 60 mph. This increases the pressure on the top and inside of the rings to push them fully out to the cylinder wall so they can seat properly.

See this document from an airplane engine manufacturer for a more detailed explanation. And also one from Hastings, a piston ring manufacturer.

Teledyne Brake-In

Hasting Piston Rings

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE, 4 cyl
674 Posts
The only part of your engine that needs a break in are the rings.
As noted in a previous post, when they hone the cylinder walls, it is as if they sanded it with sand paper. This leaves a course finish which is worn away as you break in the piston rings. The fine metal particles which are worn off the cylinder walls go into the oil.

Having recently restored an engine for an older car, Hasting who is one of the biggest piston ring manufactures states you need a coarser honed finish to properly break in the rings. The honing stones range from about 120 to 400 and they recommend 220 (see article).

I changed my oil at 5K and if I had time, I would have done it at around 2K.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/cylinder_deglazing.htm

" The glazed cylinder wall causes rings to "skate" on the highly polished finish and discourages the minute amount of wear which is necessary to mate piston rings with the bore.

The interrupted "deglazed" finish contains minute hills and valleys which carry a film of oil which will retard which will retard scuffing during break of as well as produce the type of cylinder finish piston rings can mate to very rapidly." (from Hastings)

·
Registered
see below
251 Posts
Just called the dealer and they won't compliment payment for any routine service until 5 months or 5000 miles. As far as changing the oil before then, he said they'd do it as many times as I requested, if I'd be willing to pay the $79 for each synthetic change. I have about 1300 miles on my TCH and made an appointment for next week.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,953 Posts
Just called the dealer and they won't compliment payment for any routine service until 5 months or 5000 miles. As far as changing the oil before then, he said they'd do it as many times as I requested, if I'd be willing to pay the $79 for each synthetic change. I have about 1300 miles on my TCH and made an appointment for next week.
do it yourself: jug of 0-20 +OEM filter + 6 pack=$35.
:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've read some things that the oil that comes from the factory is not just regular synthetic 0w20, and includes additive that help with the break-in process. I'm going to split the difference between the recommended oil change at 10k and have it done at 5k.

In terms of the rest of the break-in, I'm just driving normally. Keeping the RPMs below 3k, although once I've had to give it some gas and it went up to 5k or so. My commute includes about 20 minutes on the highway and I vary my speed from 60 to 70. When I get down to 60 I use my paddle shifter to downshift into 5th, get up to 70, then go back to regular D.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
^oh yea good point on the oil possibly having additives to aid in break in. I know whenever I get a new boat/motor, the motor ecu automatically double oils for the first couple hours (the motors are two stroke, direct injection, and oil injected w/ a remote oil tank). It's hard to compare a car motor w/ a 2-stoke outboard, but I was just using that as an example of a motor supplementing for break-in. Anybody have any solid proof of additives being or not being added into the factory oil?

·
Registered
2021 Camry SE-2009 Camry V6
1,381 Posts
See page 135 of your owners manual

Toyota and Lexus have had essentially the same break in instructions for the past twenty plus years. Go to page 135 of the 2013 Camry owners manual

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM33A33U/pdf/sec_02-01.pdf

which states:

Breaking in your new Toyota

To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:​

For the first 200 miles (300 km):

Avoid sudden stops.

For the first 1000 miles (1600 km):

• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.
• Do not drive continuously in low gears.

• Do not drive at a constant speed for extended periods.

I always follow these instructions religiously. I also NEVER rev the engine. And every Lexus/Toyota the family has ever owned has used zero oil and got/gets at least 10-20% better gas mileage than the EPA estimates.

As for oil changes, I am an oil phobe but would not change at 1,000 miles although thaat sure won't hurt anything. My advice is to do your first two freebies at 5,000 miles/6 monhts and then at 15,000 months/18 months

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Anybody have any solid proof of additives being or not being added into the factory oil?
If you check at Bob is the Oil Guy, you will find used oil analysis results from the initial factory fill. Not different than what you buy at the dealer. It is blended by Exxon using an additive package supplied by Toyota from Japan.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
If you check at Bob is the Oil Guy, you will find used oil analysis results from the initial factory fill. Not different than what you buy at the dealer. It is blended by Exxon using an additive package supplied by Toyota from Japan.
Ok cool, thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.