Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm going to need four new brakes and rotors.

The local dealership is quoting $495 for just the front brakes and rotors, so call it $1000 for all four.

Places like Midas come in much cheaper but I'm not sure if I trust them with my car.

I figure with the dealership I'm getting certified toyota techs working on the car, I figure they're paid more thus they should be better in terms of quality... but then the price is pretty high.

Can anyone tell me if I'm getting a decent deal with the dealership? Should I consider places like Midas?

· Premium Member
4,259 Posts
No. Do them yourself. One of our most helpful people in the forums (HardtopTE72) made a great DIY on them. Take a look at this and see if you can do it before you pay 400$:http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...matrix-pontiac-vibe-front-brake-job-pics.html

(Credit to HardtopTE72)

Unless you have an XRS, you only need two rotors and four pads. If they're doing the rear which are drum brakes then I'd say new shoes and drums.

I did my brakes in the summer only using OE parts and total it costed me about 180$. Well 200 if you include the stupid C-Clamp and grease. But braking is much better and quieter now.

If you can't do them by yourself (which you totally could, even the tools if you don't have them are always a good investment) 400$ sounds about right only for the front. I was quoted like 370$ or 395$, just because I was curious.

Dealer technicians are not always the best. Sometimes you'll get a lube tech to do your brakes. It's rare although it happens.

If you do choose to do it yourself, get new pads and rotors from roman in the vending section. He gets parts here fast and has great prices. I would have ordered my stuff from him but he wasn't on here yet.

· NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 265K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
721 Posts
I didn't have time to do them myself so I brought my '05 to Firestone. With a $99/axle coupon front and rear with both front rotors and fluid flush was under $500 with tax.

Front pads installed $99
Front rotors $82 each $164 for both (you can buy them locally for around $30)
Fluid flush $80 (optional, but since I didn't know the history of the fluids in this used vehicle I decided to get it replaced)
Rear shoes $99

After tax and shop supplies $500-ish

Gil

· Registered
117 Posts
I didn't have time to do them myself so I brought my '05 to Firestone. With a $99/axle coupon front and rear with both front rotors and fluid flush was under $500 with tax.

Front pads installed $99
Front rotors $82 each $164 for both (you can buy them locally for around $30)
Fluid flush $80 (optional, but since I didn't know the history of the fluids in this used vehicle I decided to get it replaced)
Rear shoes $99

After tax and shop supplies $500-ish

Gil
Are these OEM parts or generic? Brakes are one thing I don't recommend going the cheap way with.

Did you get to watch them do the service?

· NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 265K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
721 Posts
They have it listed just as "ceramic pads" and "rear premium shoes".

I didn't have a chance to watch them as I had to drop the car off so I could work.

Gil

· Registered
25 Posts
That is bad deal. The dealer will try to rip you off. Just a few days ago I ordered two brembo (Plain disc, no slotted or drilled) and four OEM brake pads around 130 at ebay. Look around on line for some good deals. I personally recommend doing the job yourself but if you don't have the tools then find a credible mechanic at a better rate.

· Registered
18 Posts
How do you know?

As stated above CEs, LEs, and Ss do not have rear disc brakes so you MAY only need two rotors and MAY only need two drums.

If your front pads are worn out it does not mean your rotors need replacing. They may be just fine as they are, they may need turning (machining the faces parallel to each other), OR they may need replacing. One can not tell what is needed without looking at/taking them apart. If the counter guy/gal tells you new rotors are needed without seeing the car/brakes they are just upselling you something you MAY not need.

As for the rear brakes if both front and rear were working as designed the rear shoes tend to last longer than the front pads, ie generally the front wear out faster than the rear as most of the actual stopping comes from the front brakes. You MAY not need to replace anything on the rear at this time.

As with the front just because you need to replace the rear shoes it does not necessarily mean the drums need replacing as well.

Recently changed the front pads on an 07 and an 08, did not touch the rotors or the rear brakes other than to make sure the rears were adjusted correctly.

Someone recently replaced an entire engine because he was told his had been run without any oil. From the thread info it appears that he never confirmed that diagnosis. There was internal noise so something needed fixing internally but possibly something less than replacing the engine.

Always a good idea to ask for second/third opinions if you do not have a trusted mechanic to rely on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.