Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! mine is 2000 camry and I have not changed the rear break since I bought this car 4 years ago, becasue the Toyota technician suggested me not to do so( The rear break looks like new). The problem is that now when I push the break harder, the rear break comes up noise which makes
me annyoing. if I pushed the break slowly, it is fine but not faster push the break. Thre rear break is drum break and front is a disk one. The noise comes from rear is for sure. I have used break cleanser bought from Walmart. it works a little bit, which reduce the noise but still can not make the noise completely disappear. Does anyone have any idea what part I should change for the rear break? Is it the problem of break shose or something else? I would appreciate if someone can give me a hand here. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
160 Posts
WARNING
Before reading post
**Please, first review these two definitions, then proceed cautiously.**

break
v. broke, (brk) bro·ken, (brkn) break·ing, breaks

1.) To cause to separate into pieces suddenly or violently; smash.
2.)
a. To divide into pieces, as by bending or cutting: break crackers for a baby.
b. To separate into components or parts: broke the work into discrete tasks.

then there is
brake
n.

1. A device for slowing or stopping motion, as of a vehicle, especially by contact friction.
2. Something that slows or stops action.

I think that I was able to extract a meaning from your post: "the rear brakes make noise."

Take the rear pads off. Next, coat the backing plates (back side of brake pads) with anti-squeal compound. Then let it dry and proceed to reassemble. If this does not fix the problem you should then turn the rear rotors (on a lathe). However, I would turn the rotors as a last resort.

-Adam

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
He said he has rear drum brakes. You pobably need to have the rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. The drum's inner surface might also be glazed and need to be resurfaced. If the brake lining is as thin or thinner than the shoe itself then they are worn and need replacing, as well as the drum resurfaced.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry, i got lost in his post somewhere. TRD is right, a drum brake would require adjustment and possibly turning. You may want to check the shoe thickness in the rear, to ensure that you are not hearing the rivets digging into the drum. You never said squeal, but i assumed the noise was a squeal. If it is a grinding then you may need new shoes.

-Adam

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for TRD and Adam. Adams is right , the rear brake comes with exact squealing sound. What should I tell the Toyota technician to check? Please give me some suggestions. Thanks.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
you just need the drum shoes, or pads, replaced. the cost abotu 20 dollars for a set of decent ones.

tell you toyota tech to change the rear brake shoes, he will knwo what to do. if he doesnt, then he doesnt belong near a car and you need to take it somewhere else. LOL.
;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts