Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I attempted to change my breaks and rotors and I was rushing on the second, forgetting to replace the spring clips the go into the break pads. I went back to the student garage and coud only find one of them. Can I buy these anywhere?

·
You asked for it...
392 Posts
I did that once, and just left them out after I couldn't find them lying around the car. I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that, but I never had any problems. Many cars don't have those clips and seem to get along fine.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Don't run your brakes without them; one of mine broke and caused the pad to slip around, which tore up the rotor badly and lead me to replace both prematurely. Must have something to do with the size of the caliper.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
I did that once, and just left them out after I couldn't find them lying around the car. I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that, but I never had any problems. Many cars don't have those clips and seem to get along fine.
those cars use anti squeel compound which adheres the pad to the caliper piston on the inside and the outer pad to the caliper frame. That causes the pad to pull away when the brakes are released. The compound makes a mess and isn't as reliable as the springs/clips at the top. Id put them back myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts