Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Corolla
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you guys clean your break system. Is this a Do it yourself job or I need somebody professional to do it. I know there are spray break cleaners in the market, would it do the job? Do I need to disassemble my break sys? :confused:

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
It depends on what type of cleaning you are talking about.

Fully cleaning the whole brake system like you would do at the 100,000mile service would entail rebuilding the calipers and drums.
For a regular service you can clean drum breaks by sliding the cover off and just spraying a shit load of break cleaner in there. The Calipers don't really need cleaning but you can lube up the slider pins.
Also you can "clean" your brake fluid by bleeding it out and replacing it with fresh fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear echo,

the spay you mention is to clean the disc break of any dirt, like oil. This is so that the brake pads doesn't slip when u depress the brakes.

You can fully bleed your system if you find your brake power decreasing, or when you notice your brake fuild isn't clear (clean). There are a lot of tutorials online.

You might want to check whether the cylinders of your disc brakes are fine, and not rusty.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hate to say this but from a safety point of view, if you are asking this question...then you really shouldn't be attempting this job. Instead you should get someone who knows what they are doing to show you how the first time or take a night school course on auto repairs and then you can try it.

"Break system cleaning
How did you guys clean your break system. Is this a Do it yourself job or I need somebody professional to do it. I know there are spray break cleaners in the market, would it do the job? Do I need to disassemble my break sys"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts