Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While researching critiques and issues about tires that are found on various threads, I ran across an item that honestly, I hadn't though about, Breaking in Your Tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5&currentpage=29

The article in Tirerack suggests that tires should be broken in for about 500 miles to achieve
normal ride quality and maximum performance
I wonder how many of us, even thought about tire break-in? I know I didn't. However, without considering the tires, I did drive my '05 PreRunner like a Grandpa, and fortunately didn't do any off-roading, laying down rubber or the like.

·
Registered
770 Posts
probably directed to street or autocross racing. heat cycling will improve the quality and life of your tires....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like two, so far, for :bullshitz

Does TireRack know what they are talking about?

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
Every time I had New tires put on my cars no one at the store mention any break in period to me. All they tell me is to check tire pressure and rotate every 7k. Even the warrenty and informations on the tires don't mention any break in period. Sound like a bunch of crap to me. unless certain tires are really cheap like retreads.:confused:

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
Wanna know how I broke in my tires?

I smoked the tires from the dealership driveway to the next stop light with the rear diffs locked.

I figured that way I got the rear end, the tires, the tranny, the motor, and the ABS all at the same time.

It was broke in within the first 60 ft....:D

If breaking in tires is going to be the new "must" I'm gonna buy a fucking hovercraft.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
all i've ever heard before was to rotate every 5-10K. kind of interesting, but that's kind of how i drive normally, as i already stated in my other thread. there's a time and a place to drive fast, and public roads in a pickup is not one of them. :)

side note: i don't think break-in/tire rotation applies to my MR2, seeing as how it eats rear tires in less than 10K miles.

-Mike

·
Red Headed Slut
1,843 Posts
Does laying a 200ft patch count as a 'break-in'?:smokin:

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
This is the first time I've ever seen this. I wonder how I missed it on tire rack? Although it seems stupid it makes some sense in a way. It's like breaking in new sneakers. They are all stiff, still smell good and you can run in them when they are brand new but you'll probably get a blister. I just hit 600 miles on my new Toyo's and I have to say they softened up a little and the tiny vibration I had is now gone. I don't think they are saying anything other than you won't get a real feel for how the tire is going to be until after a few hundred miles. I don't think they mean a "take it easy" type of "break-in".

·
Row Dialin'
2,832 Posts
TRD Hunter said:
to me IMO the best handling, maximum performance, is after you have been driving awhile and the tire expands and heats up
yrffej said:
heat cycling will improve the quality and life of your tires
Do any of you actually read what you're posting before you hit "submit"?

What you are describing isn't "break-in"?!?

:headbang:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts