Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Carne Asada Taco
2007 Tacoma
199 Posts
I'm running the Phillips Vision Plus H4s, and 100w fogs to match. Pretty damn bright, and the headlights are actually legal. I had to aim them down after the 5100 lift since the truck was no longer nose down. I would get flashed all the time before that.

·
aka David Neubeiser
Paddle Board
285 Posts
What's the brightest easy-to-find and legal headlight I can buy for my '08 taco?
I run PIAA super white bulbs with 9005 in the fog lights. 9005 will fit with a very slight modification and they are very bright. 100% street legal too. :clap:

http://piaa.com/Bulbs/BulbsAbout.html

PIAAs are a little on the pricey side. I paid around $60 a pair but they are 100% worth it IMHO.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
I'm a Theatrical Lighting Designer and I can tell you there isn't really a true answer to that. It depends on a ton of factors. If you're talking lumens then Sylvania Silverstars are pretty bright and easily obtainable. Color Temperature matters a lot too...some people are more or less sensitive to higher color temperatures. Most people can't see as well with the higher color temperature lamps because they aren't used to them. It matter more then lumens most likely as pretty much all lamps you will find are the DOT legal 55w/65w variety and they will all put out pretty much equal lumens. We live in a low color temperature world and our eyes are used to the 1500°K to 6000°K color temperature because that is the temperature range of the sun and most indoor incandescent lighting. Our eyes have become developed to pick up lower color temperatures more readily. You wont be able to see as well with color temperatures brighter then 7000°K no matter how many lumens they put out. Also the Kelvin rating has nothing to do with brightness just FYI. I personally like to stay in the 6000°K range and I would suggest anyone else do that same. Grab some Sylvania Silverstars in the 6000°K range and you will be all set. They are great lamps!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a Theatrical Lighting Designer and I can tell you there isn't really a true answer to that. It depends on a ton of factors. If you're talking lumens then Sylvania Silverstars are pretty bright and easily obtainable. Color Temperature matters a lot too...some people are more or less sensitive to higher color temperatures. Most people can't see as well with the higher color temperature lamps because they aren't used to them. It matter more then lumens most likely as pretty much all lamps you will find are the DOT legal 55w/65w variety and they will all put out pretty much equal lumens. We live in a low color temperature world and our eyes are used to the 1500°K to 6000°K color temperature because that is the temperature range of the sun and most indoor incandescent lighting. Our eyes have become developed to pick up lower color temperatures more readily. You wont be able to see as well with color temperatures brighter then 7000°K no matter how many lumens they put out. Also the Kelvin rating has nothing to do with brightness just FYI. I personally like to stay in the 6000°K range and I would suggest anyone else do that same. Grab some Sylvania Silverstars in the 6000°K range and you will be all set. They are great lamps!
Wow,u know what you're talking about.

If I did get the Silverstars, do I need to get different fog lamps to match? If si, what should I get?

·
Carne Asada Taco
2007 Tacoma
199 Posts
Wow,u know what you're talking about.

If I did get the Silverstars, do I need to get different fog lamps to match? If si, what should I get?
The only Silverstars worth getting are the Osrams. Euro spec, not the POS bling ones they sell here under the Slyvania brand. H4s drop right in.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,129 Posts
The only Silverstars worth getting are the Osrams. Euro spec, not the POS bling ones they sell here under the Slyvania brand. H4s drop right in.
And that's you're opinion. Mine differs as I've been running the Silverstars in all my vehicles. For ease of picking them up and how excellent they are when driving, I don't see anything wrong with them. A lot of people run these, but don't always speak up. And yes, I've seen the article by the guy selling those lights. What he said in his sales pitch to sell more of his bulbs isn't accurate. In fact, if you read closely you'll see he contradicts himself.

I also run the Silverstars in the fogs to keep with the white and brighter light.

·
Registered
228 Posts
These are the brightest IMO the Osram NightBreaker Ultra High Output +90 or the Halogen Infrared Reflecting (HIR) bulbs.
Check these out they are the brightest other than H.I.D's.
PIAA's and others are just a big names but just as bright as most; the two bulbs I listed are brighter
Sylvania Silverstars:thumbdown suck!

·
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
These are the brightest IMO the Osram NightBreaker Ultra High Output +90 or the Halogen Infrared Reflecting (HIR) bulbs.
Check these out they are the brightest other than H.I.D's.
PIAA's and others are just a big names but just as bright as most; the two bulbs I listed are brighter
Sylvania Silverstars:thumbdown suck!
Anything from Osram is really good!

and when I was talking about the silverstars I was talking about the Osram Sylvania Silverstars specifically

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/

They only come in the 4000°K color temperature and are way better then any of the other Silverstars by far.

We use lamps from Osram almost exclusively in our theatre, they are more expensive but the quality more then makes up for it. I've never has a lamp blow because it was defective. They have only blown because of age or improper installation into the housings by our workstudies whom most have never touched a professional lighting fixture in their lives. So they forget to clip the lamps in or they clip them in wrong which causes the contacts to arc and melt.

Also on both headlamps in your car and theatrical lamps, if you touch the crystal on the lamp with your fingers the oil from your fingers greatly reduces the life of the lamps and in many cases not only will the lamp blow out quicker, when it does blow out it will explode inside the lens housing. I've had that happen a few times, I can take some pictures and show them to you if you want. :)

·
Banned
2 Tacomas, 1 E36 328
125 Posts
Silverstarts suck, but I am running because they were easy to get when I bought my truck....I will be going with something better when they blow or before. To me, I love the 6000K HID I put in the E36 with euro housings.... If they only had a high quality projector housing or a really really good reflector housing that didn't scatter the light it would be worth it to put HID's in this truck, but just for a color change...not worth...my suggestion Go with PIAA Super Plasma GT's.....they put out alot of light and has a nice color.

·
aka David Neubeiser
Paddle Board
285 Posts
everyone love carnage pics
Here is a pic for ya. The car on the left is a 98 323 BMW with Imported German halogen projectors. My Taco is on the right and is equiped with PIAA Super White Bulbs. PIAAs made a HUGE difference. The bulbs are much brighter and the color is much whiter. :eek:hyeah:

·
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Forgot to bring my camera to school today, hopefully I can get pics tomorrow but I doubt it because I am going to be wicked busy tomorrow. Have to deal with some demo equipment one of our distributors is bringing in and also have to go pick up some equipment in Randolph, MA.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Here is a pic for ya. The car on the left is a 98 323 BMW with Imported German halogen projectors. My Taco is on the right and is equiped with PIAA Super White Bulbs. PIAAs made a HUGE difference. The bulbs are much brighter and the color is much whiter. :eek:hyeah:

X2

I have the PIAA super white H4 headlights an the PIAA 9005 super plasma fogs and they are very bright and DOT approved.
I love them and would highly recommend them.

·
lostincali311
2007 Toyota Tacoma
127 Posts
I got some 5900k HIPRO bulbs that I got off ebay and they are bright as hell. I get people flashing their lights at me ALL the time and people that are in smaller cars that are stopped at a red light in front of me flipping me off ALL THE TIME. I am kinda over it and I am thinking about going back to stock. They lit up the road a lot better than these bright blue bulbs, or I am thinking about getting hid's but wouldn't those be annoying like the ebay lights?

·
aka David Neubeiser
Paddle Board
285 Posts
X2

I have the PIAA super white H4 headlights an the PIAA 9005 super plasma fogs and they are very bright and DOT approved.
I love them and would highly recommend them.
racer1x - Would love to see the contrast between the super white and the plasma. Do you have a pic looking out the windshield at night?

·
I eat and ride Tacos!
29 Posts
A friend bought me Wagner's Truview headlamps and they are brighter than stock headlamps. I want to match the fogs to them, any suggestions?

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
I got some 5900k HIPRO bulbs that I got off ebay and they are bright as hell. I get people flashing their lights at me ALL the time and people that are in smaller cars that are stopped at a red light in front of me flipping me off ALL THE TIME. I am kinda over it and I am thinking about going back to stock. They lit up the road a lot better than these bright blue bulbs, or I am thinking about getting hid's but wouldn't those be annoying like the ebay lights?
Your truck is lifted. Did you re-aim your headlights after the lift? With extra hight, it is the same as driving with high-beams on. I'd flash you too, with aftermarket high-beams :).

·
lostincali311
2007 Toyota Tacoma
127 Posts
Your truck is lifted. Did you re-aim your headlights after the lift? With extra hight, it is the same as driving with high-beams on. I'd flash you too, with aftermarket high-beams :).
Yes they are both pointed down. I pointed them down as far as they can go. ohhh well, they look good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts