Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the pads and rotors on the front brakes today and managed to break a bolt on the caliper while putting them back together. It's one of the two bolts that attach the caliper to the mounting bracket.

This was the first time I tried to fix brakes, so I am wondering if someone who knows more about it can offer some advice. Can the part with the rubber boot be replaced separately from the bracket?

Thanks.
It's a 97 Camry 5S-FE.
IMG_20200515_134048998.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
Yes, you should be able to pull that part (called a slide pin) in the rubber boot out. It’s supposed to slide freely, but in your case it might be firmly stuck. Get a vise grip on it and yank it out. If you can’t get the broken-off bolt out, just replace the pin. Might need to replace both if they’re in bad shape.

·
Camreee
Race build '99 NA V6.
183 Posts
That threaded nut that you see the end of the bolt through is where the slide pin bolt is secured to the bracket, the nut slides back and forth carrying the slide pin - all you need to do is rotate the nut counterclockwise and it will spin off the bolt (likely the bolt will just pop out after a half a spin, it's just floating there).

But if not - you can safely rotate the entire nut off that bolt and still be able to remove the broken bolt. Like BMR said, vise grips and yanking on it will safely pull it out, if yanking doesn't work then rotate the nut like 10 times to free up the slide pin bushing inside the caliper.

You can go to any chain auto parts store and buy a new slide bolt set for $5-10.

I wouldn't recommend duradontlast products long term, but obviously you need to fix that to drive it so if there is an autozone around you - Buy part # H15053 , Don't get H15056 which is for the V6, the kit has both slide pins for one caliper for $4, then order some oem or decent aftermarket ones for both sides to ensure they last a long time, or just get two of these and roll the dice.

Make sure you purchase a molybdenum based brake grease to lubricate the new slide pins and not a silicon based grease which is typically used for backing pads. The silicon grease will swell and stick the tiny super tight tolerance rubber bushings.

The rubber boots actually have metal inserts which the slide pin fits through, and are really tight in there. I needed a 3lb sledge, chisels, and a lot of bloody knuckles to reinstall new ones when I bought junkyard calipers with bad ones. If yours are not cracked when you expand them after you remove the old nut and bolt, you are safe to leave them alone and just replace the slide pin bolts.

I wouldn't really recommend it, but I've driven a few miles to an auto parts store before when I broke those same pins by torquing too hard, they don't hold up the brakes or take brake forces, they just allow the floating outside pads to move to and away from the rotors. It's probably dumb, but I didn't have any issues - if you don't have other transport.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I was able to put that side back together with the new bolts. Thanks for the advice.

Now, on to the other side. I am having a lot of trouble getting the front driver's side wheel off. Here's what I've tried:

-drove around with all the lug nuts loose
-hit it a lot in various places with a rubber mallet (from the front and back)
-kicked around the wheel face
-sprayed a large amount of wd40 where the studs come through the wheel and where the wheel comes into contact with the rotor.

Today, I put Liquid Wrench on the same places where I put the wd40 yesterday. Maybe it will work better.

I am trying to avoid having to heat it with a torch.

Anyone have other ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
813 Posts
usually when a wheel is that badly stuck onto the hub, I've been able to get it to shift by jacking it up, loosening the nuts, then lowering it to the ground so the suspension will put a lot of sideways load, including the weight of the car, and that will pop it off (leave the nuts loose so it can't go far)

worst one I had to get out the big gear puller, put the jaws in the wheel holes around the perimeter and cranked it off, was brutal and ugly, but it worked and the wheel wasn't bent (luckily)

when reinstalling, put grease on the joint that got stuck to save yourself so much headache next time!

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
813 Posts
awesome!

I had a rubber mallet that came with a tool set once, never was able to find a single thing it was useful for (eventually threw it away).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts