Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
97 Avalon Silver Spruce
97 Avalon
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing out my valve cover gasket, since it has been leaking a lot lately...so i was putting everything back together and I either tightened one of the breakaway screws too much, or it was weak to begin with and it snapped off while it was being screwed in, so part of the screw is stuck in the head...I felt like such an idiot...cause i knew those were safety bolts that break before you can ruin the head by overtightening them, yet it still broke. Anway, I just wanted to know if this is gonna be an expensive repair. I guess they would have to drill out the old bolt and tap the hole for a new one. Also, where should i take it to be done, as I believe the regular mechanic would not have the tools to do this job. Maybe a machine shop? Anyway, thanks in advance for all your help...uch I guess you live and learn the hard way huh

-Brian

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did the same thing on my toy v6: Here's what i did ----------------- Took vavle cover back of, Placed plastic over exposed valves [this was tough, maybe you'll think of an easier way to protect innards from debris] Pair of vice-grips clamped super tight aroud protruding stub, and slowly backed it out, came out pretty easy, hardest part was making sure no metal shavings fall into valves.
The other option is drilling it out and tapping the hole, you may be able to rent a tap set from a local parts store. A decent mechanic should have a set.

·
N00B ;)
civic T, STI, yota
31 Posts
Don't retap it, unless you are proficient and have all the proper tools.

There is a kit you can rent/buy from the auto parts store that will help you get the end out of the hole.

Also, a lot of machine shops can do this fairly easily...

good luck

·
Registered
266 Posts
There is a way to remove the bolt. I'm not an expert, but I've seen it done before. It involves screwing a special reverse threaded screw into the old bolt. Then by turning the new screw, it will back out the old bolt. They are special screws and have to be sized correctly for the old bolt. Talk to a good mechanic or a machinist.

·
Registered
22 Posts
removing a valve cover gasket bolt

The device described is called an Ease Out. These are a hardened steel device with a reverse "thread" so when you screw this into the small hole you must drill in the bolt, it will back it out. The biggest problem with these are that if the ease out breaks, you won't be able to drill it out....it is hardened....then you HAVE TO enlarge the hole and retap to a larger size, then install a helicoil to reduce it back to the size you need to use. If the bolt is broken above the flange of the sealing surface, you can clamp it with a vise grip and remove it by backing it out, being careful not to damage the sealing surface. If broken below the sealing surface or even with it, you can drill it out with a small bit, and then use slightly larger bits until not much left on the walls of the hole. Now you can try the ease out and it shouldn't break. Before doing anything, you should spray the broken bolt and hole with Blaster, a penetrating oil. How did you break it in the first place? Was it overtightened or galled to the hole? Use antiseize compound on any screw-in parts in aluminum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts