Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the bolt on the serpentine belt tensioner what can I do,also since the alternator doesn’t move with the bottom bolt tight is it safe to drive if it is set at the correct tension

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,921 Posts
By bolt you mean the bolt that lets you release the tensioner? If so, you should be okay. If by bolt you mean the one that hold onto the engine, then that is dangerous and should get towed to be fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s the bolt that goes through the tensioner and is attached to the alternator was wondering if it is ok not to replace the bolt will It affect the tension on the belt if the bolt on the bottom is tight and the alternator doesn’t move.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Assuming your alternator looks like this, I personally would not drive with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorta like this? You MIGHT be okay but I am iffy about it. Wait til another member joins in the discussion as they will know more than me.
Thanks that’s exactly the bolt that broke,hope to get more info if it’s safe to use without replacing the bolt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I broke the bolt going from the tensioner to the alternator and I was wondering if it is ok to drive if the bottom bolt is tight and the alternator is tight picture here or do I need to get the bolt out and replace?

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Not sure why you made another thread but with that picture, I would NOT drive it. Remove the broken bolt or replace the alternator. There is nothing holding that belt tension other than that one bolt at the bottom and I don't see that holding for long with the top bolt broken. It may not move while sitting but add in vibration and the spinning of the belt or hit it very hard with a 4 lb hammer and it will move.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure why you made another thread but with that picture, I would NOT drive it. Remove the broken bolt or replace the alternator. There is nothing holding that belt tension other than that one bolt at the bottom and I don't see that holding for long with the top bolt broken. It may not move while sitting but add in vibration and the spinning of the belt or hit it very hard with a 4 lb hammer and it will move.
Ya I made another post because I realized I didn’t give much information in my first post I’m new to this format thanks for pointing out I should give more info

·
Registered
121 Posts
will It affect the tension on the belt if the bolt on the bottom is tight and the alternator doesn’t move.
Unfortunately, it will affect the tension on the belt. Maybe not immediately, but the constant "pull" of the tight belt against the alternator will slowly (but surely) suck the alternator back towards the block. You might get lucky and get a few miles first. Heck, if the bottom bolt is tight, you could get really lucky and see several days of driving. But it's only a matter of time, tension, and bumps before the alternator rotates back and you lose tension on the bolt.

Sorry for your bad luck. Let us know how you handle this situation. The internet can provide multiple options on how to handle a broken bolt... none are quick, easy, and cheap, but you may get lucky and get two of the three.

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Threads merged.

Reactions: Vangm25

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Assuming your alternator looks like this, I personally would not drive with it.
Unfortunately, it will affect the tension on the belt. Maybe not immediately, but the constant "pull" of the tight belt against the alternator will slowly (but surely) suck the alternator back towards the block. You might get lucky and get a few miles first. Heck, if the bottom bolt is tight, you could get really lucky and see several days of driving. But it's only a matter of time, tension, and bumps before the alternator rotates back and you lose tension on the bolt.

Sorry for your bad luck. Let us know how you handle this situation. The internet can provide multiple options on how to handle a broken bolt... none are quick, easy, and cheap, but you may get lucky and get two of the three.
thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts