Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post in this forum and my first problem with my wife's truck. I frequently visit a few Subaru boards on the internet and they have been very helpful. I did a ton of searching before I decided to ask for help so hopefully this has not been recently covered.

At 127k miles with no warning whatsoever our truck died yesterday. Basically, my wife was driving down the road at about 70mph and heard a slightly audible "pop" noise accompanied with a similar amount of feedback through the steering wheel and the engine immediately died. The engine light came on a half second later as she was pulling over to the side of the road. The engine will crank and sounds normal while cranking but never seems to fire.

I have done regular maintenance over the past few years including new plugs, coolant flush, transmission (5spd) fluid, diff fluid, clutch, and brakes at 100k miles. Through my searching I have seen a bunch of 22R-E owners who have apparently broken timing chains. I have also discovered that this is an interference engine. I have not had a chance to tear down everything yet and I wanted to get some info before I did.

I am obviously going to take the timing cover off and look to see if the chain has broken. If the chain NOT broken what do you guys suggest I check next? If the chain is broken I assume that I need to do the following:

Remove accessories, rad, fans, etc...
Remove oil pan
Remove header and anything else attached to the head
Remove the head
Replace/repair the head
Replace the timing chain/etc from kit (I already have a kit that includes everything)
Reassemble with new head gasket

Anything I am missing? What about coolant? As I said before, my auto background is made up of almost 100% subaru engines. Many subarus require that you use subarus's own brand of coolant or it will cause premature failure of the head gasket. Does the 22R-E require anything like this? Thanks in advance for the info.
Tom

·
Registered
406 Posts
it's most likely the timing chain. Your mileage is at about the exact mileage that they're known to break. around 130K. To check and see if it is this, there is an easier way than ripping off the front of the motor jsut to check if the timing chain is shot. Just take off the valve cover. There are 4 chrome bolts holding the valve coveron up top. Back them out and then there will be washer-like things that are threaded on as well. Back them out as well. There may be a few hoses over top the cover as well. Just remove them and remember where they went. (mainly vaccum hoses) Then the vlave cover should just lift off. Look down into the front of the motor and see if the chain is hanging loosely, then the chain is your problem. Also inspect and see if the 2 guides are intact. If the chain is broken, most likely the guide or guides are missing and are down in the oil pan. If the chain broke, it too may be off its cam sprocket and stuck down in the motor as well. If this is your problem, then you can proceed to take appart the front of the motor for the timing chain as you have stated. Ill post pics of what it's supposed to look like when looking down in the motor with the valve cover off.

-Adam

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
I'd also check all the vacuum lines, and fuel lines too, only because you said there was a popping noise. Could be a vacuum line that burst, then killed the engine, and made the steering feel hard to control because the lack of power steering.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Heres the pic from mine. The red arrows are pointing to the guides that are to be there. Theyve been known to wear through and fall into the pan as ive said before. This is the view from looknig down into the front of the motor. (sorry for the huge pic)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question. Lets say the chain is broken. Other than fixing the chain and the brackets and repairing any bent valves what else needs done?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts