Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
99 Camry LE
94 Miata, 99 Camry
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to open the driver door on my 99 Camry and the face of the handle broke off. It is a body colored painted part so I hope it can be repaired and I am thinking epoxy. Has anyone done this repair or had this break on them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
They do break. I bought a Chinese copy one off the internet. Cheap and quality OK. Quite easy to replace. I had to paint it to match the car colour (aerosol can).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Get one from a pick and pull. They may even have your color. Last one that broke for me I replaced with one as stated. Before I installed it I reinforced the inner edge with JB weld to reduce the likelihood of another failure. I would nor try to repair it, Murphy will show up and it will break when you most need it to work.

·
99 Camry LE
94 Miata, 99 Camry
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a Chinese copy on eBay, supposedly color matched. We don't have a pick and pull near me and since the part aged out I'd suspect that a used part might be suspect. Funny part is last year I had this door apart to swap a broken interior handle. I guess the plastic bits will be the ultimate death of the car. Mechanically the car should outlive me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
3 of 4 doors they broke on my 93. Don't think it's a good idea to try gluing em. Not enough surface area, it's just gonna break off again. Replacements are cheap on the rock, not too hard to install a new one.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
A while back I posted a template to make a thin aluminum insert which backs up the plastic on the inside of my 93 door handles.
I used good 2 part epoxy to glue it in and then filled all the edges with epoxy putty.
Its invisible from the side, and has lasted many years but you have to do it BEFORE it breaks.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
500 Posts
Advance Auto Parts has them in stock, less than $20. No glue will work, but you're free to waste your time.
Install is a bit of a pain. I've done a lot...

·
Various Toyotas
4,909 Posts
These handles break ALL THE TIME. The 90's Toyota door handles are one of the few bad designs Toyota has for otherwise excellent cars. I go to the junkyard and occasionally find the right handle in the right color, but most of the handles at the junkyard are either gone, or broken.

As Cosmofennema mentioned, you can't glue these broken handles. That won't work. I have one with a slight crack that you can see on the right side when you pull on it. I filled in the crack with epoxy glue, so hopefully that will prolong the inevitable day when it finally breaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts