Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cross bar on the rear axle beam on my 97 Paseo is an upside-down U shaped piece of steel with a thin tube inside the U. I started hearing a noise yesterday which turned out to be the tube rattling around inside the U because the tube is broken on the passenger side.
So I have two questions: Is this supposed to be a torsion beam type thing? And what would you do repair-wise?

Automotive tire Rim Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Wood Tints and shades Art Bumper

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,176 Posts
p/n : 4211016170 no longer available.
try salvage yards.
search car-part.com and look for a larger common part like a hood or seats, those searches will usually have pics of the donor car vs. searching for the axle beam which most wrecking yards would post.
These guys list having a 1996 in their yard, no pics though.
Peer's Used Auto Parts Inc. USA-WV(Ridgeley) 304-738-2007 / 877-633-3869

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try salvage yards.
Thanks. Yeah, I kind of figured salvage would be my best option. I've also thought about trying to get someone to weld in a new piece of tube. I'm wondering how important that tube really is. It's very thin metal relative to the U channel. I'm pretty sure it didn't get that way overnight and it's probably been hanging by a thread for a while. I'm wondering if I can just secure it so it doesn't fall off and drive it for the rest of the month. I'll have plenty of time to deal with it after that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Joe I wonder if you could fit a Tercel beam to your Paseo. I'm pretty sure it'll work. Those should be more easily available at your local junkyard. Near as I can tell the tube is just a stiffener. As long as you take it easy it should be OK till next month. Removal is easy, disconnect the brake lines, the crossbeam, the struts and the 2 bushing brackets. Leave the brake drums on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts